Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Paint chipping around rear wheels

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  LRW1257401 
#1 ·
So I've noticed that I am gathering a collection of stone chips around the rear wheel wells, I do not want to add fender flairs but is there a fender lip liner/cover trim to better protect the lip on the inside of the rear fenders? The paint overall seams very thin and I am getting lots and lots of stone chips all over. At this point I'm getting tempted to cover the lip and up onto the fenders a bit with a bed coating type material but if there is another product out there I'm unaware of it.

#3 ·
I think all the Frontier owners suffer from pain chips at the fenders, particularly that rear fender flare. I sprayed a clear duracoat bedlinder/rockguard type product on it and that seems to work fairly well, or at least mask new spots. I also have numerous times touched up areas with matching paint.

#5 ·
There is a local bedliner company here that does everything from full body bedlining to just rocker guards to any combination you want.

I'm going to get a quote to do around the fender flare area with black bedliner (mine is a Glacier White so should give the appearance of a bushwacker, without the external expansion), and along the bottom edge....I'm hoping the $$ is low enough to consider.

#7 ·
I have lots of rock chips on the front of the fender flare around the back wheels. It must be something in the design that causes them to hit there. If anyone actually puts the bed liner stuff on their flares please post some pics.

#8 ·
Before I dented my rear bumper I was going to spray bed liner inside the bumper as it is riddled with rock chips. I looked at aerosol cans at Home Depot for about $15.00 a can. Now that I need a new bumper I i wont bother. I may spray the custom bumper with bed liner

#11 ·
I went cheap and used Herculiner on pretty much the entire exterior of my truck. I'll try to get pictures soon. If you're not too concerned about the looks it's not bad. Leaves a rough textured look and helps with some sound deadening on gravel roads, and when people park too close I don't have to worry about people leaving dents and chips (like someone did before I had a chance to line it). I'd warn though, if it's your daily driver, make sure you have plenty of time to do it. It took me an entire weekend to get it prepped and lined even with help from my dad (professional painter). The biggest thing was getting it to dry, granted both times I did it, the first time it started raining so we had to pull into the garage and couldn't get proper ventilation, and second when I did my skid plates it was cold and again poor ventilation. If you're planning on doing smaller areas, I'd recommend their spray cans over the gallon can kit. It lays on flatter and less of a mess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.