Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4WD
135 Posts
you can make a rattle can paint job look good. it's more about doing a good prep job than good paint. there are a lot of youtube videos on how to prep and paint a truck for cheap.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Just askl the guy at the paint store for a cheap acrylic enamel, or if he has any returns or leftovers.50$ a gal is cheap, 150 for good stuff last time I did any painting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I'll ask I have already prepared the truck with body filler and grey primer on the whole truck. Still a cpl of rough spots to smooth out. But overall ready to paint. And I dont want a rattle can paint job. I want it to look as close to factory as possible

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
PICS!!!!

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,914 Posts
I'm by no means an expert with automotive paint, but aren't the base coat and clear coat typically chosen in-concert with the primer? I was looking at PPG K36 for my primer and was going to use a corresponding PPG base/clear to go along with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm by no means an expert with automotive paint, but aren't the base coat and clear coat typically chosen in-concert with the primer? I was looking at PPG K36 for my primer and was going to use a corresponding PPG base/clear to go along with.
SEE THATS JUST IT IDK

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
SEE THATS JUST IT IDK
I was under the impression from your post that you've already started primering the truck. Would the paint supplier you purchased the primer from be able to suggest the proper paint to go with it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was under the impression from your post that you've already started primering the truck. Would the paint supplier you purchased the primer from be able to suggest the proper paint to go with it?
I used sandable spray can primer.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I'm not sure what to suggest then. You might want to see of the primer manufacturer either has a list of recommended topcoat products or if they have a hotline to call to inquire.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Is it worth approaching some body shops to get a quote on spraying it?
Or finding a gypsy who will spray it right in your back yard?
The better the paint job, the more your bodywork defects will show through.

I pulled into a Ford dealer about 10 years ago and they were spraying the front bumper cover of a used car right there in the lot. Not the cheap lot either. Never even moved it away from the other cars. wtf.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it worth approaching some body shops to get a quote on spraying it?
Or finding a gypsy who will spray it right in your back yard?
The better the paint job, the more your bodywork defects will show through.

I pulled into a Ford dealer about 10 years ago and they were spraying the front bumper cover of a used car right there in the lot. Not the cheap lot either. Never even moved it away from the other cars. wtf.
Wow, wtf is right! I'm probably going to just get an acrylic enamel and put up a tarp spray booth in the yard. And spray w a normal air spray gun. I ve got some experience in doing body work and paint just wasnt sure on how much to get

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, wtf is right! I'm probably going to just get an acrylic enamel and put up a tarp spray booth in the yard. And spray w a normal air spray gun. I ve got some experience in doing body work and paint just wasnt sure on how much to get
The truck has 265000 miles on it and I'm not trying to dump 2 grand into a paint job.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There are folks out there who will paint that truck for under a grand.
Considering the price of good materials, you'd come out ahead letting them. Especially if you mess it up nd have to do it over.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts