Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys seriously gonna buy a Frontier just hit a wall of one vs the other. This is gonna be DD I don't wanna get stuck In snow etc.. my jeep got stuck last snow storm. Is the S L just as capable minus the e locker? Is it worth the extra cash? Not gonna do major off roading, but streets are bad here And when it does snow it's days before they plow the streets. I'm a first responder and need to be able to get to work when others can't. Don't wanna buy SL then regret not buying the P4x

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
IMHO, your chances of buying a P4X and wishing you had bought an SL are lower than vice versa. However, I think you'll enjoy whichever one you end up getting.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Only real difference will be the locking rear-end and the tires. An SL as well as an SV will come with street pattern tires which of course you can change if you wish, keep in mind the SL will come with 18" rims verce the 16" rims of the SV & Pro models. For me the major factor AGAINST the Pro model was that I wanted the 6-foot long bed as I simply don't see the toyish 5-foot bed as practical at all, you can't have a 6' bed in a Pro-4X while you can in an SV and SL model... Have to wonder out loud how often the locker would be of any real use in getting around in the snow when for years people got around and still do with limited-slip rear wheel drive basic 2-wheel drive cars and trucks....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had the same question when I was looking last month. Quite liked the leather in my '15, but didn't want the roof rack again. Also wanted the rear locker (even though it's not an air locker, it'll work for what I may use it for) "just in case", though nothing around me requires it. I like the look of the 18" SL wheels, but I can do more with the 32" tires on the P4X. If you plan to just buy the truck and keep it in stock form (but who here would do such a thing?!), the P4X is hard to beat. You also get the flimsy stock skids on the P4X, but perhaps the SL comes with them, too.

Do you require leather? If so, go with the P4X w/luxury package and have the same interior as the SL (only in one color).

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Keep in mind the Pro-4X will have almost every option available, not just the rear locker. Does the SL in question have all options?

Also, as far as the 5' or 6' bed, yes, the 6' is nice, but with utilitrac, the 5' is still quite useful. Being able to tie down cargo easier than having only 4 tie downs more than makes up for the shorter bed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Keep in mind the Pro-4X will have almost every option available, not just the rear locker. Does the SL in question have all options?

Also, as far as the 5' or 6' bed, yes, the 6' is nice, but with utilitrac, the 5' is still quite useful. Being able to tie down cargo easier than having only 4 tie downs more than makes up for the shorter bed.
An SL is the luxury package and has ALL available options including the moon roof, whereas while the Pro-4X does come well appointed there is a base and a luxury package to add items such as power adjustable leather covered seats, lighted vanity mirrors, HomeLink etc....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Figure what YOU want with a truck... If saving money is paramount buy a SV with 4X4. I bought the SL because I wanted the bells and whistles AND 4X4 and a moonroof. I drive mostly highway hence my choice. If I spent more time off-road the P4X would have been the one and saved some money too.

Again, look at what YOU want to use the truck for; I love my SL.... Good luck.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would get the P4 if it were me. Then again i got an SV because i need the "long bed", also couldn't see shelling out that much more money for the P4. Was your jeep 2wd? I can't see them being a ton different in the snow with 4x4 engaged other than the truck having more weight.

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
231 Posts
Really not that hard to choose, the SL is a street truck that will 4 wheel if you need it (love the 18in), the Pro for wheeling first street second. I opted for the street version and no regrets, not much real 4 wheeling for me...but it's there if I need it.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Hi guys seriously gonna buy a Frontier just hit a wall of one vs the other. This is gonna be DD I don't wanna get stuck In snow etc.. my jeep got stuck last snow storm. Is the S L just as capable minus the e locker? Is it worth the extra cash? Not gonna do major off roading, but streets are bad here And when it does snow it's days before they plow the streets. I'm a first responder and need to be able to get to work when others can't. Don't wanna buy SL then regret not buying the P4x
All 3 trim levels (SV,P4x,SL) are equally capable in 4H. The locker can ONLY be used in 4LOW below 10mph. (There is a mod to cheat the system, but its something Nissan would frown on and deny warranty claim if it broke)

Only difference you would see in a ProX over SL is tinfoil-thin engine, trans, gastank "skidplates", Bilstein 4600 shocks, and taller tires (1/2 inch radius taller. It does not significantly increase clearance, just save you buying AT tires right away...)

If you like the SL but need AT tires, you can negotiate that into the price. Tell them you want a big break on AT tires as part of the purchase...

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Was your Jeep a 4x2 or a 4x4? What tires did you have on the Jeep?

That said, the SV, P4x or SL with 4x4 systems are all good. Any 4x4 system has its limits in snow. Having good tires that are snow rated will help any vehicle out in snow conditions.

That said. I liked the P4x. So I bought one.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Bullyson88,
You may already know this.... but here you go just in case , the E-Locker on the on the Pro-4X will not activate in 4-Hi, it only activate if you are in 4-Low and will only stay activated up to a certain speed. So its not like you are going to be driving around town in the winter in 4-low with the e-locker locked.

I have owned a 2012 SL and I currently own a 2012 pro-4x with luxury package.
On the 2012 year the SL will get you two additional items over the pro-4x luxury package...The SL has the automatic headlights (They turn on when its dark) and as mentioned above the homelink garage door opener buttons on the re-view mirror.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I looked hard at both the P4 and the SL. Drove at least two of each from different dealers to get a good feel for both trucks. Made sure each one was similarly equipped.

In the end I chose the P4 with the luxury package because to me it felt more like a truck. The SL felt too much like a car or luxury SUV. Plus I didn't like the 18" wheels or the way the trucks handled with those large of wheels.

Totally happy with my purchase, but in the end it is what you will be happy with.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wanted the 16" wheels and a long bed, so it was SV for me. I personally think the VTP package is pretty good. Of course if you are looking for the additional appointments then you will have to forego either the 16" wheels or the long bed, you won't be able to get both with either P4X or SL.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I also drove all three in automatic...knew I wanted to purchase with a manual transmission and realized while I'd like the P4x I'd probably upgrade most of those "heavy duty" components on my own once the mod bug hit me anyway (and I began to wheel).
I ended up with an SV CC v6/6M (my Tomtom fits perfectly in the top dash pocket) and the money I saved over the other two models will go towards my armor and suspension upgrades!

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I went the cheaper route, 4wd SV with Value Truck package and long bed, sold the stock tires after 500 miles and put on what I wanted. Couldn't be happier, value truck gives you the heated cloth seats............which considering it was 0 in Denver when I left the house at 3:45 am, I would have been very unhappy with leather.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I started out look for a PRO4x and was dead set on it but ended up going with the SL. Other than the locker I can make the SL a PRO4x over time plus I get the auto headlights, homelink, etc. I do like the 18's over the 16's for the rims. I couldn't feel a ride difference between the two. Plus I wanted forged copper and it was pretty rare in my parts on any model. I plan to put some AT tires on it and some nice shocks over the years as well.

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
I started out look for a PRO4x and was dead set on it but ended up going with the SL. Other than the locker I can make the SL a PRO4x over time plus I get the auto headlights, homelink, etc. I do like the 18's over the 16's for the rims. I couldn't feel a ride difference between the two. Plus I wanted forged copper and it was pretty rare in my parts on any model. I plan to put some AT tires on it and some nice shocks over the years as well.
The rims in your avatar don't look like the current stock SL 18s...am I mistaken?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts