Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. First of all I hope I am in the correct part of the forum for this question.
Also, I did do a search on this issue and found nothing to help me out.

01 Frontier 4WD V-6 150K miles. It has the P0720 code.

My question is this: Will it make the transmission not shift correctly if this sensor is malfunctioning? It almost acts like the trany is going out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
po720 means the Vehicle Speed Sensor is not working or is going out. it should be on top of your transfercase looks kind of like a old speedometer gear but instead of a cable, it uses a wiring harness. remove hold-down nut and clamp,pull it out,unplug it
nissan wants around $150.00 for it

·
Registered
556 Posts
VSS issues will confuse the TCM and make shifting suck.

Before you go and replace the sensor, check the wiring harness that runs along the drive train and up into the truck. There were a lot of chaffing issues with that harness on certain clips and sometimes it would cause intermittent grounding of the VSS signal. Changing the sensor will not fix this type of issue, so check it first.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well my 2002 Frontier S/C CC was not shifting out of first till I hit 4000rpm and was not going into overdrive at all and my code showed throttle position sensor and I bought one for it for $53.00 new at Advanced Auto Parts and it fixed it. Its right on top of the engine and has 2 plugs in it and is black and blue. One plug is gray the other is brown. And it is a Hitachi Brand. Don't know if this is what is wrong with yours but this fixed mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts