Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i just got the check engine light after filling up a full tank, my gas guage says empty with the fuel light on. i took it to the dealer and they said my car does not part of the recall i was like WTF this is the exact same symthoms of the recall for a 06 frontier. are only some of the frontiers covered under the recall? do i have to replace this fuel sending unit myself?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you give the guy your vin number and then he was able to tell you that you had the recall?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Pretty sure you don't get a CEL from the sending unit; my truck just ran outta gas this past Mon... Gauge showed 1/5th till' empty.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Mine gets a CEL when it acts up, actually two variations of the same numeric value.

The reason I'm told that only some vehicles are covered is because Nissan believes only certain parts from certain suppliers has a problem, so only vehicles produced with those parts are covered.

If you do decide to purchase the part yourself, call more than one dealer since their mark-ups can vary widely. Also note that Nissan told me they will reimburse you, if afterwards, they add your vin to the recall. Save your receipts!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
bullshit

all frontiers should be covered under this.

My $30k 2005 isn't covered, and all 2006+ are? Lame.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
so far its been the 2nd day the truck is showing empty gas tank and the gauge is not moving and still SES light on. i tried resetting it with removing battery and that did not work. i ordered all the parts last night, i got the new updated unit for $72 and the O ring and i ordered all the cooling components since i was about to do a coolent flush. i will save my receipt, i just dont want to deal with the hassle of driving with no gas gauge right now.

all frontiers should be covered under this.

My $30k 2005 isn't covered, and all 2006+ are? Lame.
not all, my 06 is not covered:thatswck:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
been driving the truck for 2 days, weird it started working again, but i dont trust it, i already got all the stuff hopefully will get it all done when it all comes in

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys,
I have the gas gauge problem with the SEL. It is a 2007 so when I called the dealer he said just wait it out until Nissan expands the recall. Nissan says I have to get a diagnosis at the dealer (~$120) to even start a file. I finally called the US DOT NHTSA and filed a complaint. My wife ran out of gas on the highway - which NHTSA considers a reasonable safety issue. They had about 60 complaints on file for the 2007. If you have had this problem and are not covered by the recall - PLEASE - call the NHTSA and add your voice!
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi guys,
I have the gas gauge problem with the SEL. It is a 2007 so when I called the dealer he said just wait it out until Nissan expands the recall. Nissan says I have to get a diagnosis at the dealer (~$120) to even start a file. I finally called the US DOT NHTSA and filed a complaint. My wife ran out of gas on the highway - which NHTSA considers a reasonable safety issue. They had about 60 complaints on file for the 2007. If you have had this problem and are not covered by the recall - PLEASE - call the NHTSA and add your voice!
Thanks,
Bill
$120 to tell you whats wrong?!?! wow thats insane! i think i paid 85 bucks for a new sending unit, and it took about 45 minutes to R2 it. When i got the new one in the code was gone, but even if it doesnt go away you can get a code reader for like 45 bucks and erase it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Definite rip-off!!! Finally Nissan agreed to pay for the part but I have to pay for the labor. I think I will just get the part from the dealer and do it myself. This is one way to keep the dealerships in business.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi guys,
Thanks,
Bill

Hi,

I just had to deal with this myself. I had to pay $55 for the diagnosis, called Nissan Consumer Affairs and filed a claim. They flat out denied me, offered me no help whatsoever. So I filed a claim with the NHTSA. I strongly urge anyone who has had this issue, whether covered under warranty or not, to please file a claim with NHTSA so that Nissan can expand the recall to all vehicles. Having a functional fuel gauge is not something I consider to be optional! Thank you.

Josh

·
Registered
16 Posts
I joined the club today - P0463 and stuck fuel guage @74k 2005 frontier SE. Dealer quoted me "around 400" to fix, but I had to bring it in. Called NHTSA and filed complaint, now ordering parts. Thanks for the how to write-ups - will do it myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had this on my '05 Pathfinder. SEL light on and off for a few weeks, then finally the fuel gauge started working wierd then completely failed. Took it in, not coverded on recall. Had to go out of town on long trip in a couple days so pain dealer to do the work. $477. Then I called Nissan and nicely opened a request for them to cover mine since there was a recall. They called the dealer and after learning I do all my maintenance there, Nissan sent me a check for the full amount.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pretty sure you don't get a CEL from the sending unit; my truck just ran outta gas this past Mon... Gauge showed 1/5th till' empty.
My dad's 05 had the exact recall issue and it was not listed under the recalled vehicles. The CEL was not on during the time. His truck was fixed by the selling dealer for free. I talked to several people at the dealer and called Nissan customer service prior to taking it in.

My guess with the CEL it is something else wrong than just the recall issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts