Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just so you guys know, those of you who had gotten the P0463 code (gas sending unit issue, where your fuel gauge does not work)

Nissan has a RECALL on frontier for this unit.... so its free. If you paid for it, they will re-reimburse your money.

Just a heads up

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is the recall #?

I have a '05 Frontier and when I search the nhtsa.dot.gov databases I only see a SERVICE bulletin for the Fuel Sending Unit problem where the fuel gauge is erratic.
Technical Service Bulletins Summary

There is a recall for the 2006 and 2008 Frontiers that is similar (Recalls Summary) but not the same as the service bulletin most of us are talking about.

I hope you're right! I'm afraid I'll have to fork over a good deal of cash to get this fixed.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
So how do you know if your vehicle is affected?

·
Registered
161 Posts
go to dealer and give them your vin, mine got the same symthoms and codes but my truck is not covered

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good luck getting them to expand the recall. I bought an '06 back in February and not 7 days later I had this problem arise. I thought even though the truck was used, Nissan would've offered some good will and picked up the tab
($692) but they didn't. I wrote and called coporate and even the 3rd party warranty company and got nothing. Well, I take that back. I was given a 6 month service plan that I finally got in May but found out is was retoractive to the first of the year. Go figure. But I will go to the dealership this weekend and see if my model has been picked up. If so, better believe I'll submit for a reimbursement.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I guess this explains why my gauge drops like a rock to half a tank and then levels out from there to the empty mark. I have been experiencing a loss of mileage for a few weeks and tried the gas pedal remedy (numerous times!!!) with no luck. Must be disabled somehow. Changed plugs the other day at 63K, but little difference. I grounded the negative wire to the + terminal and it seems better but will know later this week when I gas up. Went on a trip of a couple hundred miles today with the AC on the whole way and 75 on the interstate. The gauge has me somewhat worried the way it is now working. Will call the local dealer and find if it is covered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2007 with same problem

Hi guys,
I also have the gas gauge problem - fuel sending unit problem. The service engine light is on too. The dealer said wait until the recall is expanded. Nissan said I have to at least get it diagnosed by a dealer ($120) to get a file started. I called the US DOT NHTSA and filed a complaint because the truck ran out of gas while my wife was driving on the highway - which I think is unsafe. NHTSA said there were only 60 complaints on file for the 2007. Please, please please, - if you have this problem, call NHTSA!
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
854 Posts
This was all i found on the subject.. looks like 2005 is still not included!!! bastards!

RECALL: 2006-2008 Nissan Frontier
NHTSA Campaign Number: 10V075000 Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Manufacturer NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Recall Date: FEB 26, 2010
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 80689

Description FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:AUXILLARY TANK
Summary NISSAN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006 AND MODEL YEAR 2008 FRONTIER, XTERRA AND PATHFINDER VEHICLES. THE MOLDED FUEL TANK SHELLS CAN DEFORM, CAUSING THE FUEL SENDER FLOAT ARM TO CONTACT AN EMBOSSMENT MOLDED INTO THE TANK SHELL CAUSING THE INSTRUMENT PANEL FUEL GAUGE TO SHOW THAT THE VEHICLE HAS APPROXIMATELY ONE QUARTER TANK WHEN THE FUEL TANK IS EMPTY.

Consequence THIS COULD CAUSE THE VEHICLE TO RUN OUT OF GAS AND STALL IN TRAFFIC, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT INSIDE THE FUEL TANK WITH A NEW ONE THAT HAS A MODIFIED FLOAT ARM. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE MARCH 22, 2010.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not all 2006 are either. My 06 Nismo is not covered - even though I'm getting the P0463. I'd have to pay the diagnostic (what do they do besides read the code, really). I could order the parts and do it myself for what I'd pay for the diagnostic.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not all 2006 are either. My 06 Nismo is not covered - even though I'm getting the P0463. I'd have to pay the diagnostic (what do they do besides read the code, really). I could order the parts and do it myself for what I'd pay for the diagnostic.
Yeah i spent $90 on the sensor and o ring and two hours of labor and its done..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.