Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Service Engine Soon light came on today. Hooked up the cortex to read the codes and it lists 9 different ones, only being able to identify the one listed in the thread title: P0456 "Evap Emission ctrl sys very small leak detected". The first two listed on it are P0456.

Anyone know if there's a general area on the evap system to check? I looked at the evap lines easily visible under the hood and checked all connections I could easily see already.

I'll list the other codes that the cortex couldn't identify: C1704, C1705, C1706, C1707, C1724, C1726 and C1727.

I appreciate any insight anyone could provide. Would be nice if it's something I could fix myself...

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
The p0456 is somewhat tough to make go away permanently. Its usually triggered by the vent valve being stuck or a bad charcoal canister. Cleaning/replacing the vent and canister can make it go away. Have a look at this:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/how-evap-canister-vent-mod-213217/

The other codes are BCM, and most appear to be related to tire pressure strangely. Do you have wheels that don't have monitors in them?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good thread on the EVAP canister, thanks! I didn't realize they were in such a bad spot...

All the other codes are related to the TPMS? Keeping the rear tires inflated enough for the light to stay off wears the center tread too much.

I was worried a few of the other codes might be related to the transmission. Not much over 100 miles ago I left the battery disconnected for about 40 hours to reset everything. It had been shifting pretty rough and actually improved after that.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Yeah that rough/hard shifting happens while the computer is relearning.
If you fill your tires to these pressures and reset the TPMS system following the thread below your low tire light shouldn't come on unless a tire gets down to about 28psi. That should allow you to run the back tires at 32psi to help them wear better. When people reset the TPMS with all the tires at 35psi it is very touchy and the low tire light comes on when a tire drops to 33-32ish psi. Good luck with the Evap thingy that really seems to affect people in dusty climates.
Front LH 34
Front RH 31
Rear RH 29
Rear LH 26
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/reset-tpms-warning-yourself-works-74391/

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Blue Devil, I disconnected the battery for 40 hours in an attempt to improve a rough shifting issue. It actually shifted smoother immediately after reconnecting it.
I have to let the TPMS light stay on since I can't keep the rear tires inflated enough to keep it off without causing excessive center tread wear. If I pump them up high enough, then reset codes with the cortex, the TPMS will stay off. I've actually tried the procedure you listed in hopes to change the tolerances for the light to trip without success =\

When I checked the codes yesterday, I cleared them. After about 15 miles of driving the SES light came on again.

It's now reading P0455: EVAP emission ctrl system gross leak detected.

With a total of three codes showing up this time, the other two are the C1706 and C1707 (TPMS only, right?).

Edit: I decided to put the stock gas cap on just in case... I do always smell fumes when opening gas door, but it did that with the stock one too since the truck was new. After just doing that, I went to check the codes once more before clearing them, and oddly it showed another one even though I hadn't started the truck again since posting those codes above. This time it showed P0447 too. EVAP emission ctrl sys vent ctrl circuit open.

After I drive it next time and the light more than likely comes back on, I guess I'll take the purge valve off and see if it's rusted. I came across a thread where some actually attempted to clean and grease it...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Why didn't Nissan at least put some type of plastic liner over that gap in the frame? Everything the tire throws up can land on this EVAP box.

It does look like, as mentioned in other threads, that removing the tire is the easiest way to reach in there to disconnect the purge valve. I'm considering trying something along the lines of what they did in this post: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/689000-post15.html

Edit: Isn't it odd that this EVAP issue pops up not long after I let the truck sit 40 hours disconnected from the battery? Just a coincidence I guess...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That above link I posted about reaching in there to turn the valve a half turn to remove it must only work on pre 2009 designs.

With the way it's mounted, I can't quite get a half turn because of some metal lines running along the frame. Looks like I have to disconnect all hoses and unscrew the canister housing from the frame to get the valve off:frown:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts