Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Frontier V6 with 220,000 miles just thru a P0420 code (Catalysis below efficiency bank 1) Question: Should I just replace the down stream O2 sensor and see what happens or get it scanned with a scan tool? $$?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't understand you have the code "just thru a P0420 code" didn't you use a obdII reader already. You can give it a try replacing your O2 but with 220k Id start looking at your cat/s being clogged that's the below efficiency part

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand you have the code "just thru a P0420 code" didn't you use a obdII reader already. You can give it a try replacing your O2 but with 220k Id start looking at your cat/s being clogged that's the below efficiency part
Yes, I have a reader, however, looking on the web for that code, it said that you need a "Scan Tool" ($9000) to tell if it's the O2 sensor or the cat converter going bad.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You do not need a high end scanner to read O2 data. Plenty of sub $200 code readers/scanners that will give live O2 data.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it would be cheaper to just replace it.

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
if its the second set of o2 sensors, you should be able to toss extensions on it an call it a day. the secondaries are for emissions only, they dont change your fuel mapping.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Did you recently change your front O2. If not I would tend to think that your cats are dying. And if you want to go sensor route I would suggest change both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts