Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time, long time! I am the unfortunate owner of a Frontier from hell and I can't tell you how much this forum has helped me repair my truck, I'm very familiar with the vehicle now and hoping to repair myself. Over the last few years I have done just about every "common" issue on my 2006 Frontier v6 4.0. This past weekend I was driving me vehicle when it suddenly shut off (this issue happened a few years ago to me as well and was fixed with a cam sensor). I got the truck a tow and when I got home gave it a scan, both codes P0340 and P0345 are coming up and the truck won't start, but will turn over and sounds like it wants to run... I can hear the fuel pump (haven't tested pressure), I replaced both camshaft sensors and still no luck. Through some research I have found it could be an issue with the IPDM? Any help is so greatly appreciated. Truck recently hit 160,000 miles.

Repairs I've done within the couple years
Camshaft sensor Bank 1 (within 50k miles)
Transmission rebuild (about 30k miles ago done at shop)
Cats (within 20k miles)
Timing Chain (within 10k)
Crankshaft sensor (within 10k)
Throttle Body (within 5k)
Plugs (within 10k)
Coil Packs (within 10k)
U-Joints (within 5k)
Drive Shaft Center Bearing (within 5k)
Camshaft sensor Bank 1 & 2 (0k miles)
Probably a bunch more but these are the ones that i remember that could be relevant to the problem.

Thank you for reading, any input is hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Did you replace the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors with genuine Nissan or aftermarket? The aftermarket ones aren’t as reliable. If the crankshaft position sensor fails, the truck will crank, but won’t start.
The IPDM is a box where the relays are. It’s possible that an ignition relay has failed, but it’s uncommon. Find the relay and unplug it, the check the contacts for corrosion - clean if needed.

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Hitachi or NTK are reputable brands for cam & crank sensors, IIRC. Just stay away from eBay or other brands since they are of unknown quality & possibly fake...and realize just how finicky the electrical systems/brains are in our Frontiers.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Hitachi or NTK are reputable brands for cam & crank sensors, IIRC. Just stay away from eBay or other brands since they are of unknown quality & possibly fake...and realize just how finicky the electrical systems/brains are in our Frontiers.
^^ +1 here, for how much a PitA these sensors are to reach and R&R, never use a FleaBay or Amazon special even if it's much cheaper, cause that's exactly why, it's much cheaper. The Nissan ECMs don't play well with aftermarket parts, especially the ones built to the way lowest common denominator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the input. I went back and replaced the sensors with OEM sensors. Still throwing P0340 and P0345. Engine still cranks but no start Although unrelated to code I checked fuel pressure, which was good. I also swapped relays for the ignition and ECM. Still no luck. Any suggestions on next step?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Did you check the wiring and connections?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, checked connections. I actually replaced one as well because the mechanism wasn’t functioning properly and I was concerned it may come loose in the future.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you only visually check the connections? Or did you check with a meter between the IPDM/ECU/sensor for continuity to make sure your harness is in good shape?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Have you pulled a coil and verified spark while cranking? Have you verified fuel rail pressure maintains while cranking? Fuel line pressure test kit is pretty cheap, testing a coil while cranking is free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate all the feedback it has all helped narrow my issues down. My hobby is building motorcycles so although I'm mechanical, autos are still a bit foreign to me so it has taken me a little bit to thoroughly test the suggestions you all have given...Unfortunately I have yet to solve this problem.

Currently cranking/no start. Code p0340 and p0345. NO spark, has fuel pressure while cranking. Replaced cam sensor with OEM, Tested voltage at the camshaft sensors (has power), checked voltage at injectors (has power) Replaced IPDM, fuses and relays to updated non recalled version. Sent ECM to be tested, no issues found. visually inspected connections. I did the timing chain/guides/tensioners not many miles ago but thinking perhaps timing could be off??? While cranking I see fan and pulleys functioning as normal. The truck died while driving, not under load with no signs of failure while driving. Heard a light clunk noise right as the engine shut off, nothing too violent, assumed it was just the sound of something being forced to stop from losing power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts