Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an '03 CC V6 4x4 and have been having an issue with a misfire. I searched a few times on here, but never found an issue behaving like mine. If the truck sits overnight, it starts fine and will run without missing a beat as long as it stays running. If I turn it off and it sits for just a few minutes (3-5 minutes), it usually will start and run fine. If it sits for 10 minutes to 2 hours it will miss on cylinder 2 and the CEL will flash for about 3-4 miles, then it lines out and runs fine. I have replaced the spark plugs within the last year with NGK iridiums, and gas mileage isn't any worse than normal (15-16 in town). I am planning on getting a distributor car and rotor, but was wondering if there were any great ideas out here for me to check.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine did a similar thing and it was a bad injector. You can verify by checking the resistance with an ohmmeter. I think it should be 10-14 ohms. Test it after it gets hot. Mine tested fine until hot, then it went over 40 ohms. A flashing engine light is a cry for help, a direct mis-fire, can possible kill your convertors. Did you do plug wires?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not done the wires yet. It just seems odd to me that after 2-3 miles of missing that it just quits missing and runs great.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wanted to follow up with this thread because I hate when I search and there is a list of problems like mine, but never a solution is listed. Mailman hit the nail on the head. It was the fuel injector. I had to wait until the problem got worse so I could test everything. Of course it was cylinder #2 under the intake plenum (at least it wasn't 4 or 6) so I could test it, but not replace it without taking the plenum off. Anyway I replaced it yesterday in about 1.5 hours and it runs perfect again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In reading the posted replies replies to this tread, I personally thank all of you for contributing to the thread. I have the exact similar problem on my 2004 Frontier XE Crew Cab four wheel drive model with 140,000 miles on the odometer . First I replaced the plugs, and the problem disappeared for 2 days. Then, the Misfire on cylinder #2 re-appeared on day 3, only on the warm re-start, after driving 5 miles of so. Since it was not the plugs, I used Sea-foam and that seemed to cure it again, for 2 days. My longest commute is about 8 miles, and the blinking service engine code would quit after about 2 miles, and the VG33E would run just fine, until I parked it for more than 10 minutes, less than 2 hours. The exact description offered (above) by Mailman is the very same problem I'm experiencing. If the truck sat for hours, however, it would re-start just fine again. I have checked the auto parts store and these Hitachi injectors are way over priced. I've ordered 6 OEM injectors, and just received the exact same Hitachi injectors via an eBay seller for 1/7th the price of the auto parts store same Hitachi, same part numbered fuel injectors.
Thanks for this tip and I will keep you informed of the repair in about a week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts