Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I am new to this forum, but I was hoping someone may know something about replacing my o2 sensor on my frontier. I have a 2001 frontier with a 4 cylinder engine. Anyway, recently my check engine light has gone on, saying that my cat is bad. Well, upon talking with my friend he believes that this really is the o2 sensor after the catalytic converter.

So anyway I went under my frontier and I kind of took some pictures. I am not that good at mechanical things so I was hoping to get some advice about changing the o2 sensor. Anyway if you look at the first picture below it is the sensor which is plugged into my exhaust. I figure I can clearly take a 7/8 wrench to this and mechanically remove the o2 sensor without any problems. However, It is the electrical wires that gives me the most concern. The wire you see in the picture goes from the o2 sensor over a bar and then up through the chasis. In the second photo you see the wire with a sort of rubber like moisture guard before it goes into the chasis below my cab. There is no plug like connector anywhere that I can see. Is the connector hidden behind the moisture guard? I'm not sure what to do about the wiring and how to replace this o2 sensor. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you so much. If anyone can help I will be so much in your debt.
Kindly yours,
David:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,391 Posts
Welcome to Club Frontier!
If the second picture is a rubber grommet I imagine there is an electrical connect just behind it away from the elements. Go to Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com and look in the parts section as there is a picture with a block type plastic connector. A member with the exact answer will give input soon I'm sure.

Clint

·
Registered
570 Posts
David: Are you aware that the O2 sensor is the most commonly misdiagnosed component in the emission control system and is rarely the actual cause of an engine check light? Many codes point to problems associated with the sensor, but NOT CAUSED by it. Take the truck to a knowledgable shop and have the problem properly diagnosed before wasting money and time on what is probably not the cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Clint and Paris

Thanks for your help Clint and Paris. I took my truck several moons ago to brake masters and they told me that the trouble codes said that the catalytic converter needed replacing. The truck had like 83000 miles at the time so in my cold clinical analysis I figured that two things could be true.
A. The cat could indeed be bad which would cost me like $500+ or ...
B. The sensor that told me the cat is bad is malfunctioning

I figured the latter is the more likely event as the catalytic converter is unlikely to go bad after only 80000 miles. (Cats have no moving parts and are generally more reliable than sensors) On the other hand the sensor after the cat is always getting hot and clogged I figured that the O2 sensor could easily say "cat is bad" to the computer if it is malfuctioning.

My friend recently had a similar problem with his KIA and I am kind of leaning on his expertise. I also figure that if problem A is really the issue then since I will have to lay down some major $$$ buying a new O2 sensor won't hurt that much.

Grommets - thats what you call those things :fantastic: I was searching for the word but really didn't know. I think I'll use a screw driver to pop that off and have a look see to see if the connecter is behind the Grommet. Hopefully the connector pluggy thing is right behind the grommet. I think the replacement part only has like a foot long wire so it has to be somewhere..... Famous last words.

Thanks for your help. Does anybody have any further advise suggestions?? Thanx much:)

·
Super Moderator
12,391 Posts
The cats are covered by an 8 year 80,000 mile federal warranty. Unfortunately you just passed both of those parameters.

Clint

·
Registered
83 Posts
There will be a connector behind that plug, but keep in mind that the new one you get will not have a connector and you will have to spice the old connector onto the new O2 wires. This is not that difficult and the O2 sensor will come with instructions, but be forewarned if this thought scares you.

My .02, it's the cat that is bad. The O2 sensor will throw 2 differnt codes, either the heater element inop code, or sensor out of range code. If the code is that the cat is bad, I suspect that it really is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help Truckchick. That advise is very helpful. I wonder if there are any inexpensive catalytic converter fixes that I can employ? Do you think that I could put a universal cat on, if indeed it is the cat that is the problem. It's just my luck that stuff always fails just as soon as it goes out of warranty. I have to hand it to the manufacturers that they also know how to make things to discourage people from fixing things themselves....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Which cat is it? I know my 2nd gen has several. If it is an accessible location, a universal should work fine. There are some ways to eliminate O2 sensors if you don't have emmisions testing or inspections in your state. I advise against those methods, but I've know guys who did this. But on the plus side, the old cat is worth some cash at the scrap yard because it has platinum in it. :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Cats will last a long time. The brake and muffler shops love to replace cats because it's a high profit item.
If you have, or can get your hands on, a digital volt ohm meter it's pretty easy to see if the o2 sensor is really bad. Simply attach the + lead to the o2 lead and the - lead to ground. Start the truck. You should be reading about 1/2 vdc. Have somebody rev the engine to 2500 rpm. The meter should go to 1 vdc. This is a good sensor. No reading or unchanging reading = bad sensor.

·
Registered
214 Posts
there is another trick that works

search for anti foulers and o2 sensors.

i have done it on my truck and i just passed for my sticker.

couple of anti foulers to space out the o2 sensor away from the exhaust stream should remove the CEL.

i have found two types. some from "help" products part number 42002 and another type that has a 90 degree bend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.