Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some articles on Expedition Portal when I came across a couple articles about two areas what were quite familiar to me and in fact two areas I've had the joy of spending many many enjoyable hours/days and some not so enjoyable ones... The Haines Road was actually the first road trip I did in the Frontier after I bought it :) The Xterra pic was from a previous trip up there, condition's were terrible and we ended up spending about 3 hours or so in the ditch before a sanding truck had to pull us out lol. Ahh the memories.

Anyway I figured I'd pass along the articles to show how some us in the middle to the far edge of no where spend our time!

Overland Alaska: Haines and the Haines Highway | Expedition Portal

Overland Alaska: Atlin, BC ? Glaciers, Lakes, and Mining Roads | Expedition Portal

Attachments

Reactions: JJBFrontier128

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Interesting reading

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Typically travelers coming up here are intent on getting to the main part of Alaska or heading up the Dempster Hwy in the Yukon as quickly as possible and pass up some these little gems. I find on trips its always nice to know a few local spots that are a bit off the beaten track, plus the fishing on Atlin lake and the Hiking/Grizzly Bear viewing opportunities on the Haines Road (Chilkat Pass) are pretty impressive and well worth the time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i figured I'd post a few picks of the Haines Road. The road itself passes by the headwaters of the Tatshenshini River and borders the Tatshenshini Alsek provincial park in northern British Columbia. There really isn't much four wheel driving near the road except for one road that leads to Kelsall Lake due to the park being closed to motorized vehicles but if your willing to stretch your legs there's some spectacular hiking. This park combined with Kluane National Park and Wrangell St Elias National Park in Alaska makes for one of if not the largest protected area in the world.
The winter pics are from Haines, Alaska during the Chilkat river eagle festival, every year hundreds of Bald Eagles congregate here in November, December to feed on the spawning salmon, it is an amazing sight! However be ready for pretty decent snow falls, icy roads and loads of bald eagles. The road to get back home was closed for a day after what we got, good thing we were there for a day longer.

Attachments

Reactions: ST_Fan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts