Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all!

So lately i've been having a slight issue with my lil' truck.. Couple of times i've been cruising the I15, and when i get to el cajon pass my truck wants to overheat in the middle of the grade.

It doesnt overheat by much, the needle goes to the 3/4 mark. At that point i turn off the AC and slow down a bit. That usually brings the temp down a little, but not by much. To make the grade i have to downshift to 3rd gear and keeps the revs 3.5-4k to keep up with the pace of traffic. Also I sometimes turn on the heater.

Any ideas to remedy this?

When i swapped in this engine, i used a 50/50 coolant mix, and a new clutch fan. Im thinking of reducing the coolant mix to 20% antifreeze, and 80% water. Also possibly swapping in a aluminum 240sx radiator, with a dual fan set up.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
check your coolant level.... and keep with the 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
coolant level is fine.. This weekend im going to flush the rad completely and refil it using 40% toyota red coolant, and 60 percent water. Also replacing the t stat too.

check your coolant level.... and keep with the 50/50 mix.
why keep with the 50/50 mix? it's known that water cools better than water antifreeze mix. I just want to run enough coolant so nothing corodes inside my engine.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
coolant level is fine.. This weekend im going to flush the rad completely and refil it using 40% toyota red coolant, and 60 percent water. Also replacing the t stat too.

why keep with the 50/50 mix? it's known that water cools better than water antifreeze mix. I just want to run enough coolant so nothing corodes inside my engine.
50/50 mix is best for people who need the freeze protection and for people who only check their coolant when the quickly lube place remembers to do it. water can evaporate off leaving you with less volume.

the gen 1 trucks with the iron block, aluminum heads will eventually wear the head gaskets from the difference in expansion rates of the materials.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Check the cap, to if its letting pressure off the coolant will be more apt to boil and there fore wont cool as well.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nismo rad cap, tstat, and toyota red coolant ordered.. let see if this helps..

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
the cooling system in these trucks suck. mine overheats on climbs all the time. an aluminum desert-thick radiator is my next mod.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good morning all!

So lately i've been having a slight issue with my lil' truck.. Couple of times i've been cruising the I15, and when i get to el cajon pass my truck wants to overheat in the middle of the grade.

It doesnt overheat by much, the needle goes to the 3/4 mark. At that point i turn off the AC and slow down a bit. That usually brings the temp down a little, but not by much. To make the grade i have to downshift to 3rd gear and keeps the revs 3.5-4k to keep up with the pace of traffic. Also I sometimes turn on the heater.

Any ideas to remedy this?

When i swapped in this engine, i used a 50/50 coolant mix, and a new clutch fan. Im thinking of reducing the coolant mix to 20% antifreeze, and 80% water. Also possibly swapping in a aluminum 240sx radiator, with a dual fan set up.
I got the same problem, coming up I15 around North County Fair same thing happened. I'm planning on changing out the thermostat and replacement of the cap as well.

How hard is the thermostat to get too?? I have a 2001 3.3L 2WD

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
temperature gauge movement is normal, I wouldn't say 3/4 is overheating. a bit warm, ok, but overheating? No.

Mine usually sits (in the summer) oh....at 3/5 or so, on the highway. little warmer if its in the 115+ range. Eh, its ok. Could be better

·
Registered
110 Posts
clean the bugs out of your condensor and radiator, airflow might be comprimised

·
Registered
76 Posts
my '04 3.3 XE has been over heating while im sitting in the lovely DC traffic this summer. i have a scanguage II and the water temp will go up too ~230 when im not paying attention. drop the windows, and blast the heater!

new koyo radiator and thermostat are sitting in the garage. i want to do the e-fan as well... gotta pick that up.

why the toyota red coolant?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Nehmia, Try a bottle of WaterWetter first. You can find it at any parts store.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Overheating or warmer than usual

99 Nissan Frontier 2.4L auto with 177k miles. Recently I noticed my temp gauge above 3/4, normally at mid-range. It's getting worse with the summer heat. The radiator was flushed about 2 months ago. I replaced thermostat, water pump, all belts, flushed power steering fluid ( added wrong fluid). It did not help. My temp gauge today reads about a hair line on the top line but not all the way to the H (hot) line. Any idea what's causing to heat up pretty quick? just driving 2 miles with AC on. I turn it off and still went up.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I've added some Royal Purple water wetter to mine setup. If at the very least the e-fan is a lot quieter than the mechanical. If you go efan please don't do what I did and buy those cheapy e-fan controllers. Go for a true e-fan dual controller.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Never did get around to changing out the Thermostat or the cap and the boy overheated today on the way home. I guess now I'm going to have to move forward with this update. I did notice this time it was when the AC was on and the water level was full.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts