Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now I may have another problem. I have a 2013 V6 with 103k miles. I bought the truck brand new. This morning I got on the highway to work and drove about 20 miles before getting off the highway to stop at the store. Getting back on the highway I noticed I am driving about 65-70mph and the truck would not go into overdrive. I was watching the rpm meter and it was at 2600-2800rpm struggling back and forth to go down into overdrive with the rpm meter going back down but then up again. RPM's are normally around 2000 at 65mph for me. I could tell the truck was not in overdrive just by the sound of it...that's what made me look at the rpm meter. It finally went into overdrive after about a mile of driving. Now that I think about it, seems like the truck was acting a little funny the last week or two...at times not quite knowing what gear it was in. I know we have had a snap of very cold weather the past 10 days (5 degrees in morning) but I have owned the truck for four years now and we have had that cold of weather over the years and I never had a problem. My tranny fluid was changed at 70k miles. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Check the positive battery for corrosion. Are you still on the stock battery? Are there any codes? If you haven't scanned it I would scan it. Might be pending codes even if your light is not on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes still stock battery but I cleaned up my posts and terminals before winter. No check engine light yet. I haven't scanned it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When the tranny is cold it will not shift into overdrive until it's up to temp.

Also what type of fluid was used in the tranny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tranny was up to temp. I only stopped off the highway for ten minutes. My dealer is the one who changed my tranny fluid. I am sure thay used what they were supposed to. He is a very reputable dealer and has treated me more than fair in the past.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Tranny was up to temp. I only stopped off the highway for ten minutes. My dealer is the one who changed my tranny fluid. I am sure thay used what they were supposed to. He is a very reputable dealer and has treated me more than fair in the past.

Hmmm. I would check your coolant overflow tank make sure there isn't cross contamination even though they supposedly fixed that issue 2010. Worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer checked my tranny fluid and rear differential fluid this past Monday. All levels good and fluids were clean. Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dealer checked my tranny fluid and rear differential fluid this past Monday. All levels good and fluids were clean. Thanks.
No way to really check rear diff fluid unless you remove fill plug- if oil starts running out then it’s good

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,914 Posts
This is why I hate the internet- hey man maybe he still doesn’t know you can’t check the rear diff fluid
Perhaps, but I find it wise to read the dates on discussions before replying. Sometimes resurrecting an old thread is a good idea, other times not so much.

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
I find the suggested threads below posts are the problem. If you look at them they are all very old. Most of the time you get caught off guard and reply, it’s happened to me too.

Clint

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
They may be older but if their brought to the surface they are now current!😊

Some are very useful ..or good reminders!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts