Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4x4 King Cab
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently drained and filled my transmission fluid....kind of had a hard time dialing in the correct amount, but finally got it. I over filled, but managed to siphon some out.

When I test drove, being hyper-sensitive to any shake or sound, it felt like it may have slipped a time or two. Maybe it did, maybe not.

I also took it out on the freeway. It’s just not feeling like the over-drive is kicking in. My question is, what should the RPMs be when traveling around 60 mph? Below 2K? See photo

·
Registered
502 Posts
Seems about right IMO. In my ‘16 ccsb 4x4 I’m running about 2k @65mph

Reactions: Barto1968

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Press the OD off button on the shifter. Small increase in RPM? That would be the OD is working and you just turned it off. Now that you have drove it some, check the fluid again. Sometimes it takes a drive to burp the air out of all the internal passages and get a correct fill level.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,289 Posts
After filling...did you shift into each and every gear before going for a drive?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Rpm * transmission gear ratio * final drive ratio = wheel rpm

Wheel rpm * (diameter of tire in inches / 12 * π) = feet per minute

(Feet per minute / 5280) * 60 = mph

·
Registered
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4x4 King Cab
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After filling...did you shift into each and every gear before going for a drive?
Yes, I went through every gear in the driveway. The truck seems to be shifting normally now also. I checked and I did have the Overdrive enabled. I guess I was just freaked out that I may have done something wrong. It is pretty difficult to get the transmission level spot on however. The fluid is pretty clear, and there's a huge difference between hot and cold levels. All is good now.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Yes, I went through every gear in the driveway. The truck seems to be shifting normally now also. I checked and I did have the Overdrive enabled. I guess I was just freaked out that I may have done something wrong. It is pretty difficult to get the transmission level spot on however. The fluid is pretty clear, and there's a huge difference between hot and cold levels. All is good now.
Generally, you refill with the same amount that is drained. Glad to hear all is well.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
refilling with what was drained is asking for disaster, find out what is the correct level according to the service manual and fill it to the proper level.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Having had an 06, and have a 08 and 2012 still, I know the older models shift a lot later into overdrive.. at least in my case and sometimes I don’t even notice on the older models.
Glad you got it figured out!

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Filling with the same amount without checking the level before and after is asking for issues. Otherwise it’s correct and logical.
The majority of my replies here at CF are short and are without great detail due to the fact that I feel so many things are common sense / knowledge.
I really should be more detailed in my replies.

Thank you for filling in the info I left out.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm not sure why, but nissan put this metal rod thing on my truck that the manual says you can use to measure the correct amount of tranny fluid. why would one want to just guess if what came out the drain hole is the same amount that was in there 40 thousand miles and several years ago, sounds idiotic to me.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I'm not sure why, but nissan put this metal rod thing on my truck that the manual says you can use to measure the correct amount of tranny fluid. why would one want to just guess if what came out the drain hole is the same amount that was in there 40 thousand miles and several years ago, sounds idiotic to me.
See post #11

1 - 15 of 15 Posts