Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all. I'm new here and I just purchased a 2002 CC, SC, Automatic Frontier. All was great until the transmission wouldn't shift out of 1st. Then when it did it was a hard one. Then shifts fair but won't shift into overdrive. With the ignition off I turn the key to the on position and the o/d light stays on for about 2 seconds then flashes 16 times. I read on here last night and came up with a speed sensor (revolution sensor) located in the transmission. I guess my question is: Am I on the right track here and how difficult is this to fix? Also is there something that I can try that may fix it. If you can explain in my terms I'm not a mechanic (I wish I was but I'm not. lol) Thanks for the help!

Well sorry to waste 18 of your peoples time by reading my post. I washed my engine off with water and engine cleaner and that threw a bunch of codes up and also the transmission problem. I put a fan on it and sprayed the connectors with an air compressor and let the truck idle for a while and dried it out. All seems good now. Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a similar problem and it was the speed sensor. My speedometer died in addition to symptoms. The part is like $50 and located on the passenger side of the transmission towards the rear.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Blow dry!

Well I had a mechanic pull codes after they had been cleared and it flashed 5 different ones and he asked me if I had washed off the motor and I told him yes. He told me to use his squirl cage fan and let it blow on the motor and dry it out. I did this for a while and now I'm not getting the o/d flashes that I was getting. I hope this works. From now on I will never clean another engine off. I'm just a clean freak but not anymore under the hoods for me. lol

It didn't work. Still same problem. :censor::censor::censor:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Identicle problem

I have the same description as fifty9singlecab with my 2000
crew cab. Will not shift out of any gear untill 4 grand.
From first to second it's hard and the others are normal feel.
When I used to press the overdrive "off" button the rpm's
would jump, now the rpm's drop. it's doing the opposite of
what it's supposed to do. I'm driving to work at 4000 rpm.
It never shifts into the final gear. If I unplug the transmission computer
under the dash I can mannually change the gears when I choose, but still
can't get into the final gear. I removed the "speed generator/sensor"
at the right rearend of the tranny and had my son spin it with the key on and the speedodometer moves up. Does this sensor split its signal for the speedometer and transmission? theres only two wires to it. Unless it goes to
the computer and it processes the signal to both. I hate the Idea of going to a dealer for silly stuff. Any ideas or actual expierience with this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This fixed mine.

Sir, Throttle Position Sensor fixed mine and it sounds like mine was doing the same thing. This is located to the right side of the intake up front. And mine had gray and a brown plugs plugging into it. It was around $30.00 at advanced auto parts. They had 2 different ones. OEM and a aftermarket. OEM is around $90.00 Both have 2 year warranty. Sounds weird to be related to a transmission but it sure was.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Sir, Throttle Position Sensor fixed mine and it sounds like mine was doing the same thing. This is located to the right side of the intake up front. And mine had gray and a brown plugs plugging into it. It was around $30.00 at advanced auto parts. They had 2 different ones. OEM and a aftermarket. OEM is around $90.00 Both have 2 year warranty. Sounds weird to be related to a transmission but it sure was.
Not when you consider that the pcm used throttle position and engine load as well as speed sensor to determine the correct gear to shift to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting some results

Not when you consider that the pcm used throttle position and engine load as well as speed sensor to determine the correct gear to shift to.
Yes the computer needs to know if you're stomping the gas so it will let you wind the rpm's out, or if you're soft footing the gas then it will change based on speed more than rpm's. Well anyways I took my TPS off and flicked the lever inside a few times and inspected it for corroded connectors. It looked good. Tried reseating the connectors, and nothing. This morning on my way to work it started working. (It has'nt worked in two months). It worked all the way home. Now it doesn’t downshift when I womp it to the floor. Advance $54, AutoZone $89, and both have to order it. I will replace it on Friday and I'll let ya'll know something then.Thanks so much!
Its pretty nice to get help from folks who speek 'Nissan'!!!:fantastic::fantastic::

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the same thing to mine (took it off and wound the spring and then put connector grease in the connectors and mine worked for about 3 hours) So with that I figured I had found my problem. So when I replaced the TPS it fixed it. It was kind of tricky getting it in the same location that my old one was in as far as adjustment. You can get it to where it shifts out weird. To quick or to slow. But I believe this will fix your problem. Or I hope it does, I would like to know that I helped someone out. So it will come back around to me. lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
this is why automatics are no good lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts