Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just have a question, would the Frontier be faster off the line with the over/drive turned off, and if so next time i race someone is it even worth turnning off? thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I am not a mechanic nor a drag racer, but it doesn't look like it would matter unless you
went far enough and fast enough to shift from 4th into 5th. On the other hand if you
are good at shifting it looks like you would be faster if you manually shifted the transmission through the gears.

I am sure that the automatic would be short shifting you, thus losing a little bit of peak
power in each gear. and at a point if you needed the overdrive you could activate it then. That is assuming it does not hurt to activate the overdrive at high rpm's.

Maybe someone who really knows will chime in on this for you.

OkieScot

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Just hold her to the floor and don't look back,not unless your looking at them in the rear view mirror. :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
when you guys race or just want to haul *** do you just mash the pedal straight to the floor or constantly put pressure on it? say coming from a dead stop.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I turn off the VDC and mash it.

I thought my Nismo CC was pretty fast, but I would probably get torched by a 4x2 KC with a 6 speed.

Oh well, I guess I will start saving for the Stillen SC

·
Registered
50 Posts
Overdrive only allows the AT to shift into 5th. Most AT's shift pretty good as they are so don't even bother mannually shifting it. If you wanted to do that you should have bought a MT. Biggest word of advise from a semi-pro drag racer is to make sure you hit the trubo buton (aka: turn the air conditioning off) the AC can rob you of 20hp. Also, when I go to the track I see AT's whip MT's all the time due to mis-shifts. Just stick it in "D" and mash that pedal like ya stole it!!!!

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
kansasfrontier. We will have to go out and see sometime...I am that 6-speed KC 2x4 you are looking for....

OD wont do jack until 4th gear, and your gonna hit your speed limit (115) before you need to shift into 5th gear anyway. If you have pedal to the metal, the truck isnt even gonna think about hitting 5th.

·
Registered
538 Posts
No thanks

My truck is at least 500 lbs heavier (probably more)
wait till I get my Supercharger
then it will be fun.

·
Registered
341 Posts
actually the O/D off button keeps it from kicking into a lower gear when you mash the throtle down quickly. Works well for towing or anytime the truck has an excessive load. If you have a 5000lb trailer load, naturally you will need more throttle. Typically the computer sees this and say you are in 4th gear on the highway and need to pass someone, when you give it more throttle it will kick down into 3rd to get you going. With the O/D off, it doesnt kick down it stays in 4th for a steady pull. Keep you from doing all kinds of jerking around while towing heavy loads and need more pedal. So if you start out in 1st, there is no lower gear for it to kick to so it doesnt matter if you have O/D off, it wont affect your racing at any gear cause with the pedal to the floor its gonna use every gear to its max before shifting anyways.

O/D off has nothing to do with not using 5th gear

·
Registered
187 Posts
OkieScot said:
I am not a mechanic nor a drag racer, but it doesn't look like it would matter unless you
went far enough and fast enough to shift from 4th into 5th. On the other hand if you
are good at shifting it looks like you would be faster if you manually shifted the transmission through the gears.

I am sure that the automatic would be short shifting you, thus losing a little bit of peak
power in each gear. and at a point if you needed the overdrive you could activate it then. That is assuming it does not hurt to activate the overdrive at high rpm's.

Maybe someone who really knows will chime in on this for you.

OkieScot
Correct me if I`m wrong but if you put it in first gear with an automatic , mash the throttle and throw it into 2nd at say 4500-5000 rpm the trannys not gonna upshift until the motors around 5900-6000 rpm. That`s about where it shfts if you were to put it in drive and let it shift its self manually. I`m almost positive that`s how my truck shifts when I`m manually throwing the shifter at full throttle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts