Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can i squeeze out some more HP out of my 09 4.0l? A friend got me a KN intake kit for my birthday and we put it on yesterday, really pleased, but what else can I do that is similar in ease and cost?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
A tune will give you the best gains for the money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You will soon find that our Frontiers are not quite like Honda Civics. There really are not very many applications out there for our 4.0L. There is a Stillen Supercharger for about 4K and other engine modifications that are quite expensive and don't really gain as much horsepower than you will spend paying for. The mod I have seen is a Titan engine swap but again, expensive and very time-consuming. Look around do your homework and make sure you talk to people on this website as they are full of knowledge and can tell you exactly what worth they have added to their 4.0L if any. The people on this website are among the best resources available. Don't be affraid to ask questions as most are very friendly and are more than happy to help. Good luck and welcome to ClubFrontier!! :itsfriday:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
EXHAUST!

A free flowing muffler of your liking and a new Y Pipe. I had a Magnaflow muffler but had a custom Y Pipe installed. I shaved .2 tenths of a second off of my 0-60 time as recorded by Cipher just by replacing the Y pipe. Best bang for the buck and absolutely necessary IMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EXHAUST!

A free flowing muffler of your liking and a new Y Pipe. I had a Magnaflow muffler but had a custom Y Pipe installed. I shaved .2 tenths of a second off of my 0-60 time as recorded by Cipher just by replacing the Y pipe. Best bang for the buck and absolutely necessary IMO.
Really? my 09 is a pro-4x and I heard they have very good/efficient mufflers for being stock. is this not the case?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Really? my 09 is a pro-4x and I heard they have very good/efficient mufflers for being stock. is this not the case?
Unless Nissan decided to re-engineer the exhausts they put on these trucks since my 05 NISMO than no it is not the case. The Y pipe is very restrictive and the mufflers stink too. Take a looksie around the threads about exhausts here there is a ton of information. Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
most def go with exhaust, there are a few bolt on kits out there for our trucks, just looka round and see what you can find

good luck

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Here is the old section....

A close up of the crimped stock Y section...

and the new custom Y section.

Like I stated earlier. After I got the custom Y section I shaved .2 tenths of a second off of my 0-60 time. :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
in my opinion the out of box exhaust systems are overpriced and don't really give that good truck sound that most are trying to get. what i did and alot of people have done is get a flowmaster muffler of your choice (or any muffler of your choice) and go to an exhaust shop and have them fab up a new system from the cats all the way back. the stock y is very restrictive. this way will cost you a couple hundred bucks and you'll be much happier than with the out of box ones. then get a programmer of your choice and thats about it for the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Best idea would be to go to your local exhaust shop and get them to fab in a new y-pipe and muffler to cut down on the 2 biggest exhaust restrictions, especially that y-pipe
Next best idea would be getting a tune from UpRev or look into the Bullydog GT or Superchips Cortex. You could also look into a 2* timing advance which would work good with an intake and exhaust setup

Some people are using throttle body spacers, intake manifold spacers, undercrank pulleys, free-flowing cats, headers, iridium spark plugs, and going 100% synthetic to get a few extra ponies out of their D40s

·
Registered
96 Posts
A tuner cannot be beaten for the money, period.

Additionally what people have not mentioned is the fact that it REMOVES THE WOT RESTRICTION... which can take 1/2 to a full SECOND off your 0-60 time.

Buy a superchips/hypertech/bullydog gt and be done with it :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Anyone have any issues with replacing exhaust and warranty? Just curious if the dealer would or could deny any emission work. This is assuming the factory cats are still in place.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Buy a superchips/hypertech/bullydog gt and be done with it :)
Get the exhaust first. It works WITH the intake. Then get the tuner. :)

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Had my '09 PRO-4X on the lift last weekend to get a custom exhaust quote. First words out of the guys mouth when looking at the stock system, and I quote, "Look at that y-pipe, what a piece of ****." They redesigned nothing.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Had my '09 PRO-4X on the lift last weekend to get a custom exhaust quote. First words out of the guys mouth when looking at the stock system, and I quote, "Look at that y-pipe, what a piece of ****." They redesigned nothing.
I rest my case. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
u wanna go faster?? inflate the hell outta the tires. lol really though exhaust and a tuner should be your best bet after the intake. And I swear by using synthetic fluid. start at the source, the compression! Its proven to outperform!

·
Registered
615 Posts
The basics for getting more power is intake, exhaust, and a tuner. The faster and easier you allow the motor to "breathe" the more power you will get.

example:
k&n, intake system, headers, y-pipe(high flow cats?), complete cat-back system, and a tuner(superchip, bullydog). Most of my knowledge comes from my Mustang background, so I might be missing something here.

Or, there's always nitrous lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts