Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting ready to put new shocks and struts on my '06 and thinking of going with the Bilstein 5100's. Truck's at about 106K with stock suspension. I've done quick-struts on a couple other passenger cars so I know the basics and may take the front packs to a shop with a wall-mounted spring compressor to have them do the swap in the coilover for me. I'm aware of the caution for the extra washer on the 5100's.

A couple questions:
  • Are there other parts to consider replacing (due to wear) while I'm in there? Thinking bushings for tie rods or stabilizers etc.
  • What about setting the fronts to give a lift of 0.5 - 1" without raising the rear? Would that level the stance out? I'd rather not mess with the rear springs and will stick with stock height if it's not recommended.
  • I really don't off road at this point in life anymore so should I consider something other than the Bilstein 5100's?
Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
If you don't off road and don't want any lift 5100s are overkill. 4600 series would be fine (same valving as 5100 but no lift options). That being said if you do want some lift depending on how much your rear springs have sagged between 1-1.5" will be level. I'd also replace the coil isolators and sway bar bushings. Inspect all the balljoints for slop and any boot tears.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just had the 5100s installed on the front of my 15 p4x and opted for the full 2in lift. It sits just about level to the eye but may be just slightly nose up/backwards rake. I think 1.5in would be perfect level. Coming from the stock 4600 series I haven't noticed a difference in ride quality between the 2. Hope that helps

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, guys. So, is the overwhelming opinion on this forum to stick with Bilstein's for "bang for the buck"?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think so. If you're replacing struts anyways then you can get the 5100 for about 100 each and they'll give you new struts and the lift option you want

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts