Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was finally able to pull the trigger on the new doug thorleys for the 3.3's. web order wasnt working for me so i had to do it over the phone. talked with Steven with rugged rocks offroad and he helped me out. great guy. said they should ship the end of this week or the beginning of next week. im lookin forward to it and ill keep you all posted. also it may be a while before i get them on. ill have to redo my whole exhaust cause i went custom. ill have a single magnaflow muffler for sale btw. maybe two if i do a new single in dual out muffler.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FINALLY got em in. customer service with rugged rocks is ****. had to call doug thorley to get any info on these. ill post pics soon. another thing that pissed me off though is that i don't think one of the headers was done when they sent em to ceramic. on one the tubes are welded on the inside and outside of the flange with the inside weld being ground down for a smooth flow, while the other one is welded on the inside tacked in 2 spots on the outside and the inside weld isnt ground down. so i may send it back if i think itll inhibit any performance. its still structurally strong, and leak free but i just want a matching quality set of headers. IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK???? i mean i paid $456 for the f***ers. i want some good ****.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup thats what i said but if it messes with anything then im sending them back, making them pay for a rental while im out of commission and then get a matching set. if anyone knows offhand what the diameter of the exhaust ports on the head are that'd be awesome. then ill measure the id of where that weld is.

·
Registered
310 Posts
send em back before install. theres no way headers that have been designed for maximum flow would have 1 side smooth and the other with a lumpy weld disrupting air velocity and flow. If you install and run them they may not honour the warranty. If the welds are narrower than the inside diameter of the pipe then one would assume the flow would be affected. sounds dodgey that theyre only tacked on the outside on 1 set. all headers ive seen are fully welded. sounds like 1 set skipped the finishing process somehow. besides the fact whoever ceramic coated them shouldve spotted it. good QC.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
called em so im gonna send them pics tomorrow when i get home. ill post em up on here too. i really hope they dont try to tell me for the third time that thats how they designed them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just an FYI bashing a company or posting negative comments before all the information is gathered is not a good way for things to go in your favor. I know they watch this forum and if they see things like " making them pay for a rental while im out of commission" It's not going to help your issue if there is one. Take my advise for what it is worth.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know they are a company and they are just doing their jobs as best they can. these things have just given me a lot of trouble. starting with the order. i just want the quality i pay for. i appreciate their help and i hope they can help me with them. im damn excited about gettin these on!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with sending them back

even 90 dollar summit racing headers for sbc are both finished and matching, so dont let them tell you thats how they are supposed to be.

call them up and get the things replaced

and as for the not bashing a company, i think he had all the information he needed to bash. even a child can tell when two things dont match. Unless your truck has two cylinders on one side and three on the other I certainly hope the headers are built the same.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Why don't we wait until pictures are posted to see the issue before we jump to conclusions. I think some people on here are getting confused with what his actual concerns are. If there are issues I can guarantee they will stand behind their product. I have never once had any issues with DT not backing things up. I am sure Steven from Rugged Rocks would try and do the same.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright. here are the photos.

good.

bad.

good.

bad.

good.

bad.

good.

other than those things they are a very nice set of headers imo.
i may post up copy of the e-mail i sent after i get a reply.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got em fixed, installed on sat to sun(24 total man hours) and they sound freaking amazing. also i've definitely noticed a gain in power where i have felt power loss before. occasionally i do get the cat inefficiency code but it's no biggie. i have an obd II scanner so i just delete em when they show. i'll get some pics this weekend and i'll do my best on a video. also one problem i did run into was the 2002's not having an egr valve. YOU CAN NOT FIND A PLUG WITH THIS THREAD SIZE ANYWHERE, (M24x1.5 i believe) but i made a stainless slug that fit in the hole and had a shop tig it in there. worked great. but overall i am very impressed with these.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts