Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I took my 2000 Frontier in for its 135k mile service and the shop told me the front lower ball joint boots are broken and seeping. If I want to stick with factory parts, I'm told Nissan only sells the control arm as a whole which is quite expensive and increasingly becoming NLA, as well.

I don't know a whole lot about the front suspension--what options are available to me? Should I just bite the bullet and buy the factory Nissan control arms? If I need to purchase the whole control arm, are there good aftermarkets ones out there? Can I just replace the part(s) that are broken?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
6,597 Posts
I would have no issue going aftermarket on the lower control arms. A quick check on Rock Auto shows even the Moog ones are only $100ish each.

I've never had issues with Moog and dorman suspension and steering parts over the years.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
If the bushings on the frame side of your current control arms are still in good shape, I would just install new ball joints and be done with it. Unless the ball joints are near new I would not bother just replacing the boots.

OEM is not always the best, while you can be assured that the quality and fit will be good, occasionally the aftermarket is able to make superior part. I'd argue that is the case with the Moog Problem Solver line. The part is physically beefier usually with a better joint design and the joints are greaseable unlike most Nissan OEM parts. Have a look at the Moog parts on RockAuto before you pay dealer prices.

·
Super Moderator
19,978 Posts
If the bushings on the frame side of your current control arms are still in good shape, I would just install new ball joints and be done with it. Unless the ball joints are near new I would not bother just replacing the boots.

OEM is not always the best, while you can be assured that the quality and fit will be good, occasionally the aftermarket is able to make superior part.
I have to agree with you on steering, suspension and drivetrain parts. When I needed CV boots replaced on my 92 Maxima, the Nissan dealer bought the part from Carquest because it was much more durable than the OEM boot was.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys.

I presume these after-market lower control arms are robust enough for off-roading?

Would you be able to provide part numbers?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Why not upgrade, with the Rancho 2.5 lift. That's my plan, when I have front suspension issues. You have concerns about the replacements, off road, why not replace with something that is proven off road.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, all. Really appreciate the input and information!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did all four ball joints with aftermarket parts from O'Reily, wasn't a hard job, took about 5 hours total.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Why not upgrade, with the Rancho 2.5 lift. That's my plan, when I have front suspension issues. You have concerns about the replacements, off road, why not replace with something that is proven off road.

I don't believe the rancho lift comes with new lower control arms, only uppers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I did all four ball joints with aftermarket parts from O'Reily, wasn't a hard job, took about 5 hours total.
Good on you, a 5 hour job for me now, takes two days, lol. Glad you got it fixed.

I don't believe the rancho lift comes with new lower control arms, only uppers.
Yea, I know. But it was the "You Might As Well" part of me saying, you are already putting in this much, so how much more to upgrade. Not always worth it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ordered a QuickJack 7000, will be here in early July. I can't wait, it will make things much easier. It will give me almost 2' of lift, somewhat portable, and still fits under the wife's Mustang.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts