Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
got my 05-07 volant box today for my 11 4.0, not using the scoop on the side so i taped it up, this leaves enough room to mount the horns on the upright metal right next to it. wires still need a small extension but horns are pretty protected from the elements there! i disconnected several wire retainers to get some working room to add to the wires. had to push the one line to ABS controller, i was concerned but it moved easily the little i needed to align the top bolt hole.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for the hot weather i want a sealed box ONLY drawing cooler air from the fenderwell. i could have kept the box for my truck in i wanted more air from the engine compartment as it had a BIG hole cut in the bottom front for the horns that were in the way!!! finished wiring the horns this morning as the snow continues to pile up, prolly finish everything after lunch unless snow stops, then its snowblower time!! oh if i did not want a sealed box i would have bought an open system off e-bay under $100 delivered!!

·
Premium Member
7,500 Posts
Does this '05-'07 box come w/ a plug for the scoop-hole? Assuming not since you said you taped it up. An open scoop-hole might be useful for Winter temps (only), right?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can prolly find a cap of sorts as its 3" OD, a stub sticks out about 1 1/4" i just taped it shut, if i find a suitable cap i can install it later + NO a cap is NOT included. i intend to run with the lid off in the cold weather to see if it helps the poor MPG's our trucks get!!

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,399 Posts
I fail to see the logic of covering the scoop, to each their own. I have the Volant with the scoop attached. I live in a rainforest with 200+ days of rain and snow. Never had an issue with water in the intake, also - I remoted the horns to the middle of the grill, on the metal brace, and they have been fine there with all the rain/mud/snow for 8 years.

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
I don't have an aftermarket intake but I was looking at the Volant myself a couple years ago, but then I replaced my horns with aftermarket mounted to the front grill area instead. If I were to keep the OEM horn I'd relocate it to the front grill area anyways - it would work better with the horn sound being able to go straight out front, instead of coming from behind the headlamp under the hood and intake.

I fail to see the logic of covering the scoop, to each their own. I have the Volant with the scoop attached. I live in a rainforest with 200+ days of rain and snow. Never had an issue with water in the intake, also - I remoted the horns to the middle of the grill, on the metal brace, and they have been fine there with all the rain/mud/snow for 8 years.
I don't get why one would buy a specific intake system and then defeat one of it's featured functions. If you don't like an intake box with a scoop/hole up front, then buy a different system that doesn't have scoops.

Plus IMO the "hot air" thing is marginal... the intake tubing still crosses over the radiator, from one side of the engine bay to the other side, so there's still some heat soak regardless. Having that scoop open means the engine can pull some cold air from the front of the vehicle, as it was designed to do.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I don't get why one would buy a specific intake system and then defeat one of it's featured functions. If you don't like an intake box with a scoop/hole up front, then buy a different system that doesn't have scoops.

Plus IMO the "hot air" thing is marginal... the intake tubing still crosses over the radiator, from one side of the engine bay to the other side, so there's still some heat soak regardless. Having that scoop open means the engine can pull some cold air from the front of the vehicle, as it was designed to do.
Precisely what made me stop and go...pwuaaaaa???

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to my knowledge there are no other kits that fit my 11 4.0 Fronty, otherwise i would have purchased one completely closed except the inlet + outlet. being a first time owner + learning as i go i seen other fitments with possibly a closed box but was not sure of fitment. i am pleased + thats all that matters!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i thought that was a possibility but was not sure, returned the 12540 free to Amazon with the BIG hole in it, did not want another delay + seeing the 12640 was the only other intake that was being installed i got one. its in + i am happy!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts