Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for a new battery. I have been reading about fitting an Optima under the hood. I went to pickup a red top 35, as I had been reading would fit, but the terminals were switched and my cables won't reach the terminals. I had read that you can buy one with the terminals in the same order as the stock battery. Can you manually switch the terminals on an Optima? If not, are there two types of red top 35's, with the terminals in different order? Thanks.

-S

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
have you tried spinning it around?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got the 9020-164 red top and there's no problems other than the hold down being too tall, I'm pretty sure you got the wrong one man.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Consumers Reports rated batteries in their November 2009 issue. In group 34 Optima was the second highest rated battery at 76. They did not have the Optima rated in any of the other groups.

In group 35 Bosch was top rated at 82, Duralast was second at 79 and Everstart was third also rated at 79. In group 24 which is the battery I bought for my truck the Interstate was top rated at 83, the Everstart Maxx-24N was second at 82 and the Everstart Maxx-24S was third at 78.

I got the group 24 since it has a higher rated CCA than the group 35 batteries. I got the second rated Everstart because it was only one point behind the Interstate and it was $40 cheaper. It also had 100 less CCA, but as far south as I live I don't think this will matter all that much. Besides my truck stays in a heated garage.

My only complaint after two months is the filler caps are hard to get off when I check my battery every week.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Any reason guys are getting the red top over the yellow? I was planning on getting the yellow since ill be running a winch and lights. Went to the website and it told me what battery to get D35 8040-218 YellowTop Deep Cycle Battery. I would hope the info is correct.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i'm guess everyone is going for the red tops for their CCA but if your going to be running alot of accessories like winches and lights or nice sound system the yellow top is the way to go for sure. they have plenty of CCA and are a very good deep cycle

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 1st gen and bought my yellowtop at costco a little over a year ago, had a coupon and got $50 off. My terminals were in the correct spot and the battery fit right in, just dropped it in and bolted the bracket and the terminals right in the parking lot. Picked yellow because of my stereo and my lights, real handy when first starting a bonfire, i don't have to leave my truck running.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts