Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood Tread
so this totally happened last night, trying to replace water pump, spent hours on that cam bolt and finally break it loose just so this can happen within first couple turns on the gear pullers. Pick n Pull here I come

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just get a new replacement one from RockAuto and be done with it , mine should be showing up on my door step Tuesday if not sooner , my old one is still in good usable shape / not broken , it`s just 3 to 400 hundred miles shy of hitting 299,000 miles so i figured it`s time to replace with new while i`m back into the engine for timing belt and hoses replacement and a few other things ,,, oh and by the way , get the right puller that`s made for pulling harmonic balancer`s and the 2 threaded holes in the balancer are metric ,,

·
Registered
150 Posts
You could still run that in a pinch. Mine has a chip on it somewhere. Make sure you take the big washer off of the crank bolt before trying to use a jaw puller again.

The recommended puller sits flush on the face of the pulley and uses two 6mm bolts that thread into holes on the face of the crank pulley. I rented a kit but it didn't have the 6mm bolts required.

May also want to set your engine to TDC before removing the crank pulley and timing belt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just get a new replacement one from RockAuto and be done with it , mine should be showing up on my door step Tuesday if not sooner , my old one is still in good usable shape / not broken , it`s just 3 to 400 hundred miles shy of hitting 299,000 miles so i figured it`s time to replace with new while i`m back into the engine for timing belt and hoses replacement and a few other things ,,, oh and by the way , get the right puller that`s made for pulling harmonic balancer`s and the 2 threaded holes in the balancer are metric ,,
Yeah but there's a broke off bolt stuck in one of the hole, LMFAO!!!! Always something right

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could still run that in a pinch. Mine has a chip on it somewhere. Make sure you take the big washer off of the crank bolt before trying to use a jaw puller again.

The recommended puller sits flush on the face of the pulley and uses two 6mm bolts that thread into holes on the face of the crank pulley. I rented a kit but it didn't have the 6mm bolts required.

May also want to set your engine to TDC before removing the crank pulley and timing belt.
We're at TDC and no longer using the jaw setup, broke a couple other spots. With one of 6mm holes plugged up thats not an option either so I e utilized so.e scrap aluminum laying around a few c clamps and center piece to jaw pullers and we may have something here

·
Registered
121 Posts
We're at TDC and no longer using the jaw setup, broke a couple other spots. With one of 6mm holes plugged up thats not an option either so I e utilized so.e scrap aluminum laying around a few c clamps and center piece to jaw pullers and we may have something here
Now that`s how things get done right there !!! Glad to see you got it figured out 🍻

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like you're having quite the learning experience. If all else fails I would suggest trying to use the jaw puller on the back edge of the pulleys and not the front edge where the pictured chip is.

Hopefully your homemade puller works out. That'll be much more satisfying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts