Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aloha dudes and dudettes

time to replace my tires on my essentially stock '02 Crew Cab, short bed, 4x4, V6, XE.

current setup (see two attached pictures labeled "existing"):
  • stock rims, 6 lug, 15"
  • general grabber at2's, 265/70R15
frankly, i have not liked these tires at all and i'm glad they're at the end of their tread life. in a previous life i had a suzuki samurai i threw bfg mud terrains on it and they road WAY better on the highway and i had much more confidence off-road with them as well. the bfg mud terrains will not fit on my stock rims.

SO

concept in my brain now is a new tire and wheel package, i'm a sucker for simple and tough looking so a set of bfg mudders (or any other brand y'all like better, i had good experience with pro comps on my yukon back in the 90's) on a simple set of flat black rock crawlers is what i want to see (see attached picture labeled "wanted").

speaking of rims, i realize that a heavier steel wheel will not do me any favors for mpg, power, etc... but at 225% more expensive it's harder to pull the trigger on aluminum.

speaking of money, would be great to come in at $1,500 or less for everything.

oh, and i live in hawaii so shipping kills everything of course and the off-roading here involves seriously sharp, jagged, vicisous a'a lava rock ;-p

all thoughts welcomed and thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
I see you didn't get a lot of replies so I'll throw in my 2 cents. You seem to know what you want already which may be why there wasn't too many responses but since you are concerned with punctures from the type of terrain you will be driving on, I would recommend an E rated tire (10 plies). The manufacturer and tread type would be strictly up to you since only you will know what you like and you seem to have experience with what kind of performance you will get from whatever type of tire you opt for. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a ton for the reply @bobus8!

yeah, i guess i did get pretty detailed on my previous experiences and what i liked/didn't like. those bfg m/t's and procomp m/t's were for very different trucks though (samurai and yukon) so i thought maybe the frontier crew would have some good ideas to relate

any thoughts on the aluminum versus steel rim debate? not sure if my cheapskate brain, in saving $160, does me no favors over the long haul with mpg and power lost to the added weight

thanks again @bobus8!

·
Registered
423 Posts
any thoughts on the aluminum versus steel rim debate? not sure if my cheapskate brain, in saving $160, does me no favors over the long haul with mpg and power lost to the added weight

I never give any thought to the added weight for tires or rims (or less for that matter). I always run what I like and think will meet my requirements for strength, traction, looks, etc. I may get a lot of comments for this but... if you are rolling on level surface, the weight of the wheel/tires makes no difference (once you are up to speed). The diameter and width and resistance of the tire contacting the surface however, can make a big difference. But, once again, I don't worry too much about that because I drive a beater for fuel economy. In the past, I used to prefer steel over aluminum because (way back when) aluminum would break easier that it will today and the steel would just bend... but with todays alloys, I would go with the aluminum for over all strength. Just make sure you buy a quality wheel if you choose to go with the aluminum. Remember, you get what you pay for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts