Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my bank 2 o2 sensor replaced under warranty and the dealer was saying I should get the following services done. Since when is it normal for a truck with 29K miles on it need to do a transmission flush or brake evac?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
The coolant is supposed to go well over 100k, so that alone is some bs right there.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yeh, the brake fluid flush is the only item on that list that doesn't scream RIPOFF!!!

The only required maintenance items are clearly spelled out in the Service & Maintenance Guide.

If it ain't in the Guide, YOU DON'T NEED IT.

Suggestion: For anything that isn't still in warranty, steer clear of those clowns.

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You will find everyone on here will steer you away from any dealer service. And if someone does tell you to take the dealer service, don't listen. If you can't do work yourself, find a quality local shop you can trust and check your maintenance book.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I only use dealership for warranty work. I change my own oil and transmission fluid, install new brakes, etc.

After warranty I always use local shops to do anything I cannot do, which is not a lot.

Rock auto has a lot of oem parts at greatly reduced prices.

·
Premium Member
10,237 Posts
I. Believe the Nissan long life coolant is good for 120,000 miles. What’s your mileage? The brake fluid is never changed by some but those that do it will wait until at least 50-60k. The transmission as told to me by a Nissan tech doesn’t have a traditional filter, that’s it’s more like a screen, it doesn’t gets changed and that they only do a drain and fill and leave the pan alone. This is just the dealer trying to up sell and the service writer gets a piece the sale as commission.

Clint

·
Registered
182 Posts
Change your oil every 5k. Transmission drain and fill every 30k, you need it now. Don’t allow the flush quoted. Tran Drain and fill should be around $100 at dealer. $25-30 to do yourself, easy. Change both diff and transfer case oil every 60k.
Follow book on Coolant and brake fluid and plugs and air filter.

·
Registered
947 Posts
You will find everyone on here will steer you away from any dealer service. And if someone does tell you to take the dealer service, don't listen. If you can't do work yourself, find a quality local shop you can trust and check your maintenance book.
Some dealers are better than others. Some are good, some are ripoffs.
Like every other profession, 50% of mechanics are better than the other 50%. Some of them work at dealers, some don't.
For the most part, dealers use oem parts at full list price. And the labor rates are a little higher, so overall it costs more.
Local shops use aftermarket parts at full list price, so you don't save much.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I always use the dealer for oil changes. They do it cheap to get you in the door, and techs experienced with your model do a thorough inspection so they can sell you repairs you probably need.

I had a bunch of missing bolts on my skid plate. Dealer changed oil, replaced all missing bolts without even mentioning it.

Brake fluid replacement is a good idea, Trans fluid may need replaced after 30k. Depends on use. It’s easy enough to have a look at the service schedule and see if what they recommend is in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would never ever do a tranny flush...I only do pan/filter changes cuz it's always the much safer route. Brake fluid attracts moisture/water over time...only reason to ever change it. Brake fluid hasn't been in there long enough to do that...5yrs. Too soon for coolant change...5yrs or 100k, sooner only in harsh climates. Cabin filter needs to be inspected/changed every 25k or installed if it didn't come with one.

As mentioned above all of this can be done for a fraction of their price. I personally wouldn't trust the dealership to replace an air freshener. And their best mechanics are not the ones changing your fluids...they're busy doing real repairs. It's the part time high school kid that can't wait to get wasted with his buddies tonight that's changing your fluids. Sure they're not all bad but the risk is not worth finding out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your input I only asked because when I looked in the manual it didn’t show to replace it but to inspect it. I don’t tow and my trucks rarely driven on dirt roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts