Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know I'm opening a can of worms here but I'm going to ask anyway. What has been your experience with lockers in snow? I have heard both ways but have no experience with a locker. Seems to make sense, both rear wheels turning instead of just one, means more traction. I have also been told that it just makes the truck slip even more as both rear wheels will break loose and not get any traction at all. So whats up? Is it just a technique thing? Problem is we live at the bottom of a dead end and the only way out is to turn out of the parking area and go up a fairly steep hill. No run up just an immediate turn up the hill. Even in 4 low it can be a struggle. Looking to make life a little easier for the wife. Asking for any thoughts.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
All drift cars are either spooled (permanently locked) or have very heavy limited slip diffs. I never lock the rear in snow.

However I will be installing a locker in the front and curious/worried about the same thing. One mention however is that in deep snow the front end of the truck will tend to wander. This morning I went to pick up a co-work to car pool. Her neighborhood had not been plowed yet and there was 1.5 ' of heavy snow. My truck was swimming, very hard to control, sawing the steering wheel back and forth trying to keep it straight. One guy (in the lokka thread) says that with a front locker this does not happen. The open diff spinning one tire and then the other, as it is finding traction, is the cause of this.

this summer I am planning dropping in my lokka locked front diff (R180). I'll tell you how it works afterwards.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't have a locker on mine, but I've always been told not to lock your diff driving in snow unless you are stuck. I was never given an explanation, but that is what I've always heard.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Vehicle speed is the caveat here. Low speed where you need traction to get going or to get over an obstacle is where you want a locker engaged.

At speed on a snowy road is where you DO NOT want the locker engaged. With both wheels on the axle locked, the back end of the truck will want to come around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who replied. I had been looking at the PowerTrax no slip unit since I had come across some references that it had been fixed. However that's not a question anymore since I found a good locked m226 at a local yard for $770. The PowerTrax unit was going for about $500 and it would have been in a c200k. No brainier there! I definitely like the idea of being able to turn it on/off and not have it engaged all of the time like the PowerTrax. Picking up the new toy on Sat. Then we get the fun on putting it in! There are worse ways to spend a weekend!

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Thanks to all who replied. I had been looking at the PowerTrax no slip unit since I had come across some references that it had been fixed. However that's not a question anymore since I found a good locked m226 at a local yard for $770. The PowerTrax unit was going for about $500 and it would have been in a c200k. No brainier there! I definitely like the idea of being able to turn it on/off and not have it engaged all of the time like the PowerTrax. Picking up the new toy on Sat. Then we get the fun on putting it in! There are worse ways to spend a weekend!
Good choice. About reading about Jenn's experience with her spartan rear locker, I would hate to have one of those. Assume that you are 4wd. Are you considering locking the front or was this ? only about the rear.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't have a locker in my truck but I have plowed with a 2013 or so F350 with an e locker. The truck would start driving sideways with it engaged. I didn't care for it so it stayed off.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes, whatever is installed at the factory. The switch is 2H 4H 4L and you pull it for the diff lock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plowing locked?

I can see where plowing with a locker engaged would be a problem. It seems to me that all of that extra resistance from the snow in front of the plow would make it hard to control if the rear wheels broke loose. Everyone that has replied has said the same things I have heard from other people I've talked to and it all does make sense. As JeniorNV said helps to go forward but make it easier to go sideways. Nissan4Life; I'm am 4wd but I'm not looking to do the front right now. Have to spread the cost out.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I don't have a locker in my truck but I have plowed with a 2013 or so F350 with an e locker. The truck would start driving sideways with it engaged. I didn't care for it so it stayed off.
how much weight did you have in the bed or was it running empty?

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
OK, I know I'm opening a can of worms here but I'm going to ask anyway. What has been your experience with lockers in snow? I have heard both ways but have no experience with a locker. Seems to make sense, both rear wheels turning instead of just one, means more traction. I have also been told that it just makes the truck slip even more as both rear wheels will break loose and not get any traction at all. So whats up? Is it just a technique thing? Problem is we live at the bottom of a dead end and the only way out is to turn out of the parking area and go up a fairly steep hill. No run up just an immediate turn up the hill. Even in 4 low it can be a struggle. Looking to make life a little easier for the wife. Asking for any thoughts.
I just read this first post again, and have to ask what kind of tires are you running. A good set of snow tires seems like the rear solution. I have been stuck in places I should not have been with worn tires (or summer tires when I should have swapped on my winters). This would be far more beneficial than a locker.

·
Registered
553 Posts
how much weight did you have in the bed or was it running empty?
Can't recall. Probably only full of snow.

When I plow with my Frontier I have at least 360 lbs of ballast. Makes a huge difference in traction.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you're simply looking for better snow traction, get dedicated snow tires. That will be a MUCH better solution than a rear locker. Blizzaks are made in my stock tire size. I have a 17 CC SV with 16" wheels. I've run them and many cars (RWD, FWD, AWD and 4WD) over the years and can tell you they make all the difference in the world. It's hard to oversell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
If you're going after the m226 just because you think its stronger than the c200 that's incorrect. The reason so many go after a 226 is for gearing options. Unfortunately the c200 does not receive the same support as the Dana-center m226.

Can't recall. Probably only full of snow.
When I plow with my Frontier I have at least 360 lbs of ballast. Makes a huge difference in traction.
I had similar experience with my old plow truck (chevy) when the bed was empty. with weight it ran straight.

-to OP & others-
For traction in any terrain/situation the first steps are always tires and articulation. Good snow tires in winter and AT in summer (or grippy compound highway if you don't go in the dirt). I had a set of General Grabber highway tires on my plow truck and it did SO much better than the AT tires that were on it when I bought it.
The stock leaf pack allows for very little movement before it engages the overload leaf. If you have no plans to lift, options are limited to a custom leaf pack. But lets be serious.... who DOESN'T want to (mild) lift a 4x4.... (I've always said to lower a 2wd, lift a 4wd) OME MD leafpacks are reasonably priced, good travel & comfortable ride. Add a 2" spacer in the front and done.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
So I feel kinda like a FNG newb asking this ?.... but what kind of rear axle does the pro4x '16 model have? m226?

·
Registered
988 Posts
So I feel kinda like a FNG newb asking this ?.... but what kind of rear axle does the pro4x '16 model have? m226?
Model Axle Gears
XE KC 4x2 5M C200k 4.083
XE KC 4x2 5A C200k 3.692
SV/SE KC 4x2 6M M226 3.538
SV/SE KC 4x2 5A C200k 3.133
SV/SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538
SV/SE KC 4x4 5A C200k 3.133
SV/SE CC 4x2 6M M226 3.538
SV/SE CC 4x2 5A C200k 3.133
SV/SE CC 4x4 6M M226 3.692
SV/SE CC 4x4 5A C200k 3.357
NISMO KC 4x2 5A M226 3.133