Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mod. the widows to be one-touch switches?
I have this in my 330ci and I was just wondering if anyone here had done this?

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
im also interested.

i had one touch down and UP in my passat.

i would love to have both windows be one touch up and down.


anyone know if the pathfinder or xterra has these options, might be able to retro fit it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
mmendezm3power said:
I have this in my 330ci and I was just wondering if anyone here had done this?

Thanks,
In order to have one touch up safely there must be some sort of anti-trap protection built in. If the window is rolling up automatically and someone's hand or whatever gets trapped there must be some mechanism to detect this and automatically roll the window back down to avoid injury. Your 330 has this anti-trap feature, the Frontier does not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bimmertech said:
mmendezm3power said:
I have this in my 330ci and I was just wondering if anyone here had done this?

Thanks,
In order to have one touch up safely there must be some sort of anti-trap protection built in. If the window is rolling up automatically and someone's hand or whatever gets trapped there must be some mechanism to detect this and automatically roll the window back down to avoid injury. Your 330 has this anti-trap feature, the Frontier does not.
okay, how about just auto-down? If i ordered a driver auto-down switch and replace it with the passenger switch. would that work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,776 Posts
I would think there's more to it than just the switch, there is probably also some relay and/or sensor on the driver's side motor that detects when the window is all the way down. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense just to keep from pressing the button for the full 3 seconds it takes to fully open the passenger window! 8O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
The FSM says it's just the switch. All it does is a time delay before disengaging. There's a little chip in the Auto Down switch. You should be able to just change the switch though you may have to get clever with the wiring harnesses.

Agreed on the Auto Up safety issue -- Auto Down is no biggie since you cant chop a kids head off that way ;)


- Greg -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
Seems like a lot of trouble and expense just to keep from pressing the button for the full 3 seconds it takes to fully open the passenger window! 8O
depending on the price, i think alot of people owould pay for the convience.

when i am approaching the gate (military base), reaching for my wallet, turning down the stereo, it is nice to be able to snap the button and save 2 secs :)

im not sure how the switch worked on my passat.
i dont think it was timed, because the button would "pop" up as soon as the window got to the bottom, even when i started with the window half way up.

i would deff be interested in auto up and down.
i have no kids, and any grownup that gets there head caught in the auto up deserves it ;)

if when you get the switch, please let me know,
id like to get one and do alittle testing of my own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
If its just the switch that needs to be changed out that would be great! I'd definatly fork over the dough to have that feature! I got spoiled in my Audi with the one touch up/down, not to mention that I can roll the windows up/down from the remote too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MEDEL514 said:
If its just the switch that needs to be changed out that would be great! I'd definatly fork over the dough to have that feature! I got spoiled in my Audi with the one touch up/down, not to mention that I can roll the windows up/down from the remote too!
yup! same here, im able to open my small rear windows & my sunroof with my key! lol i just love it!

8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,776 Posts
Kelly said:
depending on the price, i think alot of people owould pay for the convience.

when i am approaching the gate (military base), reaching for my wallet, turning down the stereo, it is nice to be able to snap the button and save 2 secs :).
I agree, but our trucks already have the auto down function on the driver's window, I was referring to just holding the button for the passenger window.

I still think it would entail a lot more than just a switch to get the auto-up capability, but it would be nice!

I'm retired military, so I know exactly what you're talking about with going through the gate, and it's gotten worse over the past couple years! I'm curious to see the cost of the switch to give the passenger window the same auto-down capability as the driver's window, but for me it would have to be pretty cheap! I really can recal the last time I had the passenger window down in my truck!

Now, adding it to the passenger door so my wife has the auto-down function when she's in the truck may be nice, but then again, I'm driving, so what else does she have to do but hold the button for 3 seconds! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Kelly said:
im not sure how the switch worked on my passat.
i dont think it was timed, because the button would "pop" up as soon as the window got to the bottom, even when i started with the window half way up.
The button isnt timed... the signal is. Read up on 555 Timer circuits and you'll understand what I'm talking about :) All it does is use a momentary signal (full depress to engage the second "click") to close the circuit and after a set delay it opens the circuit again.


- Greg -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
MrFancypants said:
Kelly said:
im not sure how the switch worked on my passat.
i dont think it was timed, because the button would "pop" up as soon as the window got to the bottom, even when i started with the window half way up.
The button isnt timed... the signal is. Read up on 555 Timer circuits and you'll understand what I'm talking about :) All it does is use a momentary signal (full depress to engage the second "click") to close the circuit and after a set delay it opens the circuit again.


- Greg -
just so i understand what your saying.

say it takes the window 3 secs to go from closed to open.
when i pushed the buttom (either on my passat or my frontier) it gives power to roll the window down for 3 secs? (even if the window is 75% already)

if this is the case, maybe someone can use this info to figure out a way to make the passenger side window one touch .. (on the driver side controls)



Now, adding it to the passenger door so my wife has the auto-down function when she's in the truck may be nice, but then again, I'm driving, so what else does she have to do but hold the button for 3 seconds!
totally agree.
i want it so i can control the windows,
the passenger can hold the button down for all i care. its not like they have to pay attention to the road :p :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Kelly said:
just so i understand what your saying.

say it takes the window 3 secs to go from closed to open.
when i pushed the buttom (either on my passat or my frontier) it gives power to roll the window down for 3 secs? (even if the window is 75% already)

if this is the case, maybe someone can use this info to figure out a way to make the passenger side window one touch .. (on the driver side controls)
RIght. There's a chip in the drivers side window switch that turns a momentary signal into a 3 second signal after a momentary activation. The switch has to "assume" that the window is always fully closed before you engage the auto down. The time delay must always be the same. Thats where the Auto Up gets dangerous and more expensive.

The passenger side window can be made one touch by using a second drivers side window switch. Like I said earlier, the hard part is the wiring because all of the connectors are keyed. The electronics themselves arent all that complicated. To make matters worse, the drivers side window only has one switch controlling it, while the passenger side window has two switches controlling it. You may need to use a 3-way switch in order to get two switches to work on one window.

If the Pathfinder has the Auto Down feature on the front passenger window from both the drivers and passenger side switches, my bet is you want the Pathfinder switches to make this work. Then you can be sure they are both 3-way switches and the wiring will be simpler.


- Greg -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,776 Posts
If the pathfinder switch contains the auto-down for both driver's and passenger's windows, then contact OkieScot, I think he replaced his switches with the Pathfinder switches because he wanted the brushed aluminum covers and he has a KC. He should be able to test his passenger switch and see if it has the auto-down function and if it works before you invest in the switches! Unless he put the CC switches in with the Pathfinder cover that is! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,552 Posts
As 05_NISMO_4X4 said I did use the Pathfinder window switch plates, but I used the
Frontier CC switch on mine. I did not realize the Pathfinder switch was one touch or I would have ordered it.

I guess if we go on the Pathfinder forum we could get a for sure answer on this. Sorry
I could not help.

OkieScot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,552 Posts
I went to one of the Pathfinder forums and asked if the passenger window switch is
one touch. The answer was no, only the driver's side is one touch.

Sorry for being so long getting this answer, but I forgot I posted over there until tonight.

OkieScot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Hi. I don't know about working with the frontier wiring, but on a caravan I have, I added a viper alarm with a window control function. I can now roll up and down the windows with the key fob, and have auto up and down on both passenger and drivers windows. I understand it to be not a timed circuit, but it works on the motor draw. when the window opens, or closes, fully, the motor draws considerably more amps. when that happens it opens the circuit. Maybe some electronics guru can make something like that, if not, I have had both clifford, and Viper alarms with this function.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top