Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2006 Frontier SE 4.0 and I will be buying a 2008 Pathfinder SE 4.0 very soon. After doing a search on the forum I could not find if you can use one programmer for 2 different vehicles. I called Superchips and they say I can, but forgot to ask them if I want to restore factory settings to the vehicle, how will it know which vehicle to restore to since each vehicle may be configured differently.

Anyone here know the answer?

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
dont think you can use the programmer on a 2nd vehicle unless you return the 1st vehicle back to stock tune to unlock it

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
dont think you can use the programmer on a 2nd vehicle unless you return the 1st vehicle back to stock tune to unlock it
^---- That's correct.
Once a vehicle is tuned the Superchips Cortex is "vin locked" to that specific vehicle.
So technically you can use one tuner for both vehicles, just not at the same time.

Don't know about the other tuners but I'm guessing it's a similar scenario.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Same with Hypertech, one vehicle per tuner in operation. They have the potential to tune others, just one at a time.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
As the others have stated, only 1 programmer per vehicle but I am not sure if you talk to SuperChips/HyperTech about it, they may be able to make you a custom unit that will program both for an extra fee.

The only one that I know that will let you is UpRev since you can buy Osirus and then 2 Cipher licenses. This is a lot of money to shellout but is worth it in the end. This is the route I would go if I were you and looking into tuning the vehicles.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Actually I thought you could buy additional licenses for your programmer, ie if you owned more than one vehicle. Not sure if you could have them both tuned at the same time though.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Actually I thought you could buy additional licenses for your programmer, ie if you owned more than one vehicle. Not sure if you could have them both tuned at the same time though.
I thought about this a bit and decided it might not be the best thing. Most people don't keep cars for long, that being the case, if you get rid of the car, you get stuck with a useless program ( having 2 programs in one tuner). It would be better to have a separate programmer which you could sell with the car or on its own.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I thought about this a bit and decided it might not be the best thing. Most people don't keep cars for long, that being the case, if you get rid of the car, you get stuck with a useless program ( having 2 programs in one tuner). It would be better to have a separate programmer which you could sell with the car or on its own.
Yes, with UpREV that may be the case. With Superchips you just put it to stock, sell the truck, sell the programmer. No biggie.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yes, with UpREV that may be the case. With Superchips you just put it to stock, sell the truck, sell the programmer. No biggie.
Actually just the opposite. Superchips is where you WOULD have the problem. If you have 2 vehicles tuned from one handheld tuner, you cant exactly give your tuner away if you sell one car. You would be left without being able to do anything else to the car you still own. I guess this is sorta true too with uprev, but not as bad. Your new buyer would just have to buy a new cable for their laptop and Uprev would need to tranfer the license for the selling car to that new cable, which I think there is a small fee to do so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts