Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

First off, I want to preface this with a thank you to all who contribute to these forums. Learned a lot here in the one year i've owned my truck.

The issue I come to you with today is one i've been dealing with for a few weeks. I have an 06 Nismo CC with ~170k miles on it. I'm the second owner of this truck and to my knowledge it has been taken care of pretty well by the woman who owned it before me. Lately, however, I've begun to hear some strange noises coming from what I can guess is the transfer case or somewhere in that area when shifting from Park to Reverse, Park to Drive, and Drive to Reverse (no issues between 1,2,3, or 4). The sound could best be described as a "clunk" when shifting into the gear then a stretching sound if I let off the brake slowly.

These sounds are much more pronounced when the vehicle is hot or has been running for a while. I've made a few 100+ mile trips recently and when I arrive at my destination is usually when the noise is worst. I almost always let my truck warm up for a couple minutes in the AM before shifting into gear and this is usually when the noises are least noticeable. I've checked the U-Joints and drive shaft and they seem to be in order from what I can tell. Transmission fluid is at a good level and red though it hasn't been changed in a while I would guess. Both inner tie rod ends replaced in November last year as well as a front-end alignment at the same time. I replaced all brake pads in April and oil changes every 3k miles.

I guess I'm asking for some insight here. Has anyone else ever had a similar issue? If so, what was the diagnoses? I've done some research but can't seem to find anyone who has talked about a similar problem. I'll be uploading a video shortly as soon as I can get it sent to my youtube acct. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
4wd right? When you checked the u joints did you have the car in the air and the wheels spinning freely.

If nothing else I would do a drain and fill of the ATF.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the helpful input guys. I haven't been able to get the back end off the ground this week but hopefully will have some free time tomorrow. In the mean time a new issue arose, while driving home from work today my "service engine" light began blinking and the engine began to idle very low. It felt exactly the same as it would if I was extremely low on fuel. I was able to get the truck home but I've decided it's time to get under the hood for a few hours and possibly take it to a local mechanic. I really do appreciate the advice though and I'll try to update once I get one of these issues resolved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts