Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just received my Bilstein 5100's :)fantastic:) and I'm thinking about getting a set of Old Man Emu coils for them as the stock LE's are a bit soft.

I know the 5100's increase lift by adding preload to the coils, so by that logic I would think the OME light/medium coils would be the better choise over the heavy coils.

Has anybody ever run the OME coils with Bilsteins?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, definitely check out this thread like shiner said. That's what I'll be doing as soon as the rest of my parts come in! It's a really good way to lift your frontier without spacers and still stay at a reasonable price

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
What is the length of the OME coils compared to stocks coils?

What is the spring rate?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
What is the length of the OME coils compared to stocks coils?
OME608 are Approximately 3" longer than stock SE-CC coils.

What is the spring rate?
Based upon a coil spring rate calculator, I estimate the OME608's to be Around 260Lb/Inch.
*Mind you this is the RATE. Not the weight that it is supporting under any amount of deflection.* But weight per 3" deflection is probably around ~750Lbs.

The OME608's are a pretty stout spring and you will want extra weight on them. At about 1300Lbs per front tire (& ~990Lbs per rear tire. given it's CC/Auto/4x4) - when you let the weight of the truck down w/ the OME608's (and a decent sized aftermarket front bumper) - there was very little compression of the spring/coilover in relation to what it previously was stock. The OME608's are designed for increased LOAD Capacity, not for competition/flexing around offroad - Keep that in mind when purchasing your setup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Shinermiller,

That is the exact kind of info i (we) were looking for.

Being as I dont have a big heavy bumper nor a winch and I dont plan to put on one anytime soon I will be looking at the OME607 light duty coils.

Does anyone have any beta on the OME607? Spring rate, estimated lift, ect...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I ordered my ome607 front springs today gonna try them out on my stock bil's see what the ride is like and the height, maybe 5100's later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just ordered some bilstein 5100. In order to reach its full potential lift do I need different coils? Or could I make it happen with the stock coils? Has anyone ever tried a spacer kit on the bilstein 5100's?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just ordered some bilstein 5100. In order to reach its full potential lift do I need different coils? Or could I make it happen with the stock coils? Has anyone ever tried a spacer kit on the bilstein 5100's?
yes , i have tried the 3'' spacers with the adjustable bils on the lowest setting and stock coils....

and i would says DONT do it. rode fine but as long as there are no bumps !:)

down travel was very limited.

im now using stock shocks and shock perch set on the second from last notch, no spacers.... sits almost level with 2'' deavers at the rear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What about 2" spacers? Its mainly for looks and little offroading. Any suggestions for different coils? Appreciate it man
i have no info about 2'' spacers in combo with the bils.

if its just for looks and a little off roading, just use the stock springs with the bils set at the 4th notch OR get a longer light duty springs from AC or OME and using the second notch. i am currently waiting for results of this set up in another thread .....

·
Registered
874 Posts
Do the springs for lift, don't even think about a spacer, it is counter productive and will cause it to ride like crap, you will get coil bucket contact. bils and springs will do the job right

·
Registered
40 Posts
got 'em (Bils 5100 and LD Coils from 4x4parts.com)

just got them delivered today... gonna do the install tomorrow morning....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
They're on!!!!

I got a call from Will at Sierra Expeditions that my OME 607 coils came in on Fri, so I there first thing Sat to get them in my grubby hands after a 2 month wait.

So on to installation, I started by renting a set of coil compressors from vatozone, put the truck on jack stands and started scratching my head to figue out how exactly to do this....

Well, no going back now...

The autozone coil compressors worked fine for disassembling the stock shocks. I think I found why the truck rode so bad....

The stockers burnt all of the shock oil and burned the shafts! :crikey:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For the life of me I could NOT get the 607's to compress enough using the screw type compressors. I was using an impact wrench to suck them down to the point that I thought they were going to break and I still needed another 2 ins to go! Now I was really regretting doing this on Sun now. The only place open was Pepboys. $70 later ( :censor: ) I'm on my way home with assembled shocks.

(next to old shock)

I had to get creative to suck the upper control arm down!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I previously installed the 5100's on the rear...

Installation was straight forward, remove and replace. But today I also installed the shackles from Andy at All Day Fab here in Phoenix. Andy set them up for 1.5in lift and 2.5in lift. Great guy and excellent fab skills!

Seen here next to the stockers for comparision...

BTW, Andy has a tubular upper control arm with a uni-ball for 2nd gen fronty's that rivals anything from PRG, CST, Total Chaos, ect...!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And here are the net results....

I have almost new Revo's 265/75-16 on Nismo alloys;

The front measured 34 1/4in from ground to fender at axle centerline

The rears were 35 1/8in from ground to fender at axle centerline

After ward, the front got a WHOLE lot higher than I expected...

37 1/2in for a total of 3 1/4in lift with the Bils set to the second ring ie..1/4in lift. This more than I was prepared for as my goal was 2 to 2 1/2in of lift. As a result of the front I had to set the rear shackles to thier max setting to get the truck to sit somewhat level..

The rear is now at 36 1/4in for a 1 1/4in lift.

Here are some shots of how she sits now...

And here was my helper. She cant yet tell the difference between a 19mm and 21mm wrench yet, but give her time!

In all seriousness, she was not allowed to near me with a vehicle on jack stands and air tools present. She was just on her way to the park with Mommy.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts