Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought the truck in because two ignition coils spontaneously burnt on me, engine computer threw the truck in safe mode and it died.

Towed the truck to Nissan in Orem, UT on a large flatbed trailer. Took them 3 weeks to decide what might be causing ignition coils to run too hot...

The truck's an 05 so it's not under bumper-bumper, I threw $1400 at them because they were certain my front wire-flume was bad.

First time getting the truck from nissan: Called me up and said come get it. Fail, the truck's coils were still getting real hot and close to burning up with a flashing SES right out of the dealership, transmission was shifting hard.. told them about that and said it was normal.. left it with them to fix.

Second time getting the truck from nissan Two weeks later, "think we got it" ... they changed some sensors of some sort, donno, they're small and black squares with ceramic contacts on them. They said it's good to go... Drove off, tranny still jerkin' on me on upshifts with more than 20% throttle. Told them, they said its normal, take er' easy and it will fix it self. 40 miles later, coils started burning again, I limped er' back to nissan.

Third time getting the truck from nissan a week later- Drove to the dealership out of surprise, I had not heard one call or update from them... I walked around back to see my truck in the shop, a guy "AJ" was working on it. I walked in the shop and he was nice, he said, "hey man, think we've got it!" ... a bad ground coming off of my battery? ! that's it!? ... Yeah, that was seriously all it was. I can't believe I didn't find that myself.

He was certain that everything is good, perfect, "take er' on home man !" ... service manager okay'ed everything and he was super nice to me too, I felt good that my truck was finally fixed.

I drove away after they washed it up real nice for me, engine running super strong, perfect, quiet, no codes. Transmission still shifting BAD BAD BAD. Shifts great at a very low throttle from 0mph up to about 60, when its time to shift to 4th it will just rev high with no jerks or anything. Told nissan, they said just keep driving till its okay, it's recalibrating ... let it be.

Drove it 100 miles home under 60mph. Never got any better, I noticed that If i shifted the truck down in gears manually, it shifted GREAT, smooth, even under almost full throttle. Seemed as if the harness I spend $1400 for in the first place that I probably didn't even need as it didnt fix a damn thing, screwed things up with my transmission when they installed it.

Drove it back the following monday...

1 week later the service manager "billy" says. "Hey, your new tranny just came in for your truck!... we're gonna figure out warranty stuff and we'll get back with ya!" ... I say, "well what was wrong with the one in it??" Billy said "We'll get back with ya ! thanks steve have a good one!" .

3 days after that call (yes I was calling all the time, but people were shoving me around pushing me to their voicemails or playing clueless) ... Billy calls, "Hey, we found a marked title on your truck in 05 (previous owners)... but your current title is clear, nissan won't allow us to run your truck on powertrain warranty until something is cleared up with nissan.. he said he'd do what it takes to figure it out.

1 week after that, he calls and asks me to send him the title as he still doesnt know what to do, I fought with him on the phone trying to explain to him that my transmission DID NOT have any issues what so ever when I brought it in but he just kept changing the subject and shrugging it off, I drove there yesterday to find that he left to vegas for the weekend, I had the girl at the front desk make a copy of the title I have for the truck and all..

I'm quite sure the truck has been in a fender bender in the front right, but I've torn into it myself and looked carefully and I can't find any obvious damage to any components, none. I mean the truck was PERFECT before my ignition coils started burning because of a bad ground...

So, I called nissan customer affairs, the girl was real good to me about everything, she asked at the end of our convo, "if I were your nissan fairy godmother what would you want us to do for you?" I said, "I want you to accept the fact that my transmission was perfect when I brought my truck to you and I want my transmission perfect when I get the truck back from you, regardless of warranty work or not, service screwed it up"

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
needed a bag of popcorn for that one.... Hopefully they fix the tranny problem for you. It sucks you had to shell out 1400 for it though. Bad grounds can **** with you!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
needed a bag of popcorn for that one.... Hopefully they fix the tranny problem for you. It sucks you had to shell out 1400 for it though. Bad grounds can **** with you!
Add an ice cold pepsi to that, hell yeah they can, dammit!

I've been way too nice, every once in a while I feel as if maybe a little patience and just "being chill" with them is great, well sure as hell not this time. Now I'm getting down n' dirty with them. I've left a few nasty voicemails for the service manager and hopefully nissan consumer affairs will get something going here coming monday.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I hear it. You cant be too nice because they take their leisure time, however if you are too blunt than they wont even bother with it. I like being a little sweet and sour. haha

Seems to work too, because ive already had a new tranny at 36k, and a new rear differential 1k miles ago.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've been somewhat following your different posts regarding these issues and all this is BS. If it were my truck I wouldnt bother with any of this stuff. It's my understanding that you just bought the truck recently and immediatley started having issues with it.

I would take it back to the dealer and get rid of it. Try and demand your money back and move on to something else. I mean youve had electrical problems and now your tranny's acting up? Geez, whats next? Previous damage to the front end and the possibility of a marked title? Thats not good. Was the title "washed"? I would do a little more research on that. If it were marked at some point I assume the damage was significant enough to total it. If thats the case, no wonder your having issues.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have found that most of the time you do much better with the soft approach rather than the in-your-face approach. It sounds like the Nissan consumer affairs contact is trying to work with you.

I would try to get Nissan to at least give a partial refund on the front wire loom since that did not seem to be necessary. How did they determine the wire loom was the problem, by a code? If it was a pure guess work then they need to do a full refund.

I am a little confused, when did you buy the truck and from whom? If it was recent and from this same dealer I would see if they cannot make you a very good deal on another truck as sort of a public relations gesture of good will.

OkieScot

PS I take my parts department and service department some home made candy for Christmas and they have been super good to me over the past 4 years.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I take my parts department and service department some home made candy for Christmas and they have been super good to me over the past 4 years.
My kids go to school with the kids of the owner of my local Nissan dealership and I bought my truck from him! I still get crappy service. I'm buying another Ford next go around.

·
Registered
225 Posts
PS I take my parts department and service department some home made candy for Christmas and they have been super good to me over the past 4 years.
How often do you use your parts department? On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say 1. The only parts I've ever purchased was a license plate frame, some oil plug crush washers, and a couple of oil filters. I brought my Sentra in for a few recalls, but by chance it was never the same dealer. But even if I brought by candy a couple times a year, chances are they'd never remember me anyway.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
how bout your 1400 back for something you didnt need
word.

Yeah, the whole deal about "good will" may bring me something good; service manager mentioned something about it once or twice but didn't get anywhere further from there. Just because I don't live up in provo, I live 100 miles away, they're taking their sweet time as we only converse over the phone and it's not easy as I work a full time job while the service center is open.

$1400 back for something that didn't fix the truck sounds quite nice. I need to get that fixed up too, first I just want the truck fixed or another truck. The dealership I bought the truck from is absolutely no help, I bought the truck for pretty cheap too, they play clueless and fileing complaints to DMV and other divisions about dealerships and all was a hassle and I'm unsure about going to take it to court, I haven't messed with that ever, my father has but he isn't quite interested in helping me out. I do know for sure that the owner of the truck previously was the owner of that dealership I got the truck from because I found a lot of stuff left in the glove box and console with his name on it, I talked to him about it and he said he put over 2500 highway miles on it without issues and I believe him there on that, its obvious. The truck was truly perfect when I got it from them, really awesome.

So, I'll start getting a bit more naggy with em and see what happens.

Looked for a nismo at any of the 3 major nissan dealerships here in utah and didn't find one... they may have been lying to me though, who knows.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Coils burning with their housings bubbling; I've seen before as bad grounds. CAN (Uxxxx) codes can accompany this symptom too in other subsystems. Doing a voltage drop test before and after the ground is serviced is a good idea too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts