Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Gonna try this light bar one more time... I will probably go with a nicer single row if it works out. My first attempt ended in much frustration due to the crazy loud wind noise driving. I moved the brackets down a bit, will see if that helps.

Light bar is kinda cool, mostly a work light. I can see how it won't have much use driving. The one I currently have was a cheapie from eBay.
Since my success with the Rough Country switch box, that left me with quite a few wires. I robbed a few, turns out 20-gauge wires are pushing it close for what this light bar would need. The eBay seller lists this as being 1080-watts : LOL. It is closer to 280-watts, which means the 20-gauge should be ok.

Next project will be to adding Unistrut to the bed since I don't have Utilitrac. I already have a Unistrut at the cab side and now I have added one to the driver side of the bed. Also ordered a few brackets but they will need to be modified, I plan to mount my HiLift to the driver side track. Last thing, adding a few spare LED's I had as work lights for the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got the Hi Lift mounted up but I am short one of the flat Unistrut nuts. For now, I shoved a chunk of 6x6 under it. Hopefully, it won't vibrate much. Just shaking it, it seems the whole Unistrut vibrates. If that is the case, I may have to remove the Unistrut and put a rubber piece between the Unistrut and truck bed.

Similar to what others did, I bought some of these brackets:

$30 on eBay. Drilled some 3/8 holes, scrounged around for some 3/8 bolts, then installed to the Unistrut. This was my attempt at saving some money verses the Heps Hi Lift bracket which is $70 plus shipping from Nisstec. The Heps bracket is indeed a better bracket, don't get me wrong. I was just hoping to save some money...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wheels plastidipped. Turned out ok I guess. I did two yesterday and 2 today. The 2 I did yesterday didn't turn out as well, I didn't do great with the rim edges. I'll live with it or try to fix another day.

This plastidip is awesome stuff. Hope it lasts...

Took me a long time to remove the old sticky goop from the old weights. Ended out using a brass wire brush, took off some clear coat but I'm good with that. Took me about an hour to clean, then another hour to prep 2 wheels. Used 4 coats, total of 5 cans I believe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
153 Posts
Wheels plastidipped. Turned out ok I guess. I did two yesterday and 2 today. The 2 I did yesterday didn't turn out as well, I didn't do great with the rim edges. I'll live with it or try to fix another day.

This plastidip is awesome stuff. Hope it lasts...

Took me a long time to remove the old sticky goop from the old weights. Ended out using a brass wire brush, took off some clear coat but I'm good with that. Took me about an hour to clean, then another hour to prep 2 wheels. Used 4 coats, total of 5 cans I believe.

I'm impressed by the center caps! Nice work. (y)

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
153 Posts
Really? That's good to know. I've been thinking about trying to paint the inset "Nissan" red on my center caps. I really want black lug nuts too. I think your truck is bad ***. I don't think I'll go quite as wild as you have, but I've still got some ideas. Massachusetts is making it really hard to do any mods so I have to be careful or find a way to register out of state.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Really? That's good to know. I've been thinking about trying to paint the inset "Nissan" red on my center caps. I really want black lug nuts too. I think your truck is bad ***. I don't think I'll go quite as wild as you have, but I've still got some ideas. Massachusetts is making it really hard to do any mods so I have to be careful or find a way to register out of state.

Thanks, it’s been a fun project.

You could def paint the emblem red. It pops out quite easy. Just have ti be careful not to break the plastic tabs on the inside. What mods can’t you do? Besides the obvious (street legal vs offroad).

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
153 Posts
Technically no lift is legal on any vehicle in Mass with gvw under 9,200lbs. And then there is a formula for "maximum allowable ride height". Tires absolutely must never protrude past the fender or flare. All "off road" lights must be covered during on road use. Tint on front windows can not exceed 35%. Intakes must be permanently marked with epa compliance. And technically it's illegal to change your tires size. What it was built with is all you can run. Aftermarket bumper must accommodate air bag sensors.

Now none of these will get you pulled over. But our annual inspection stations are all equipped with web cams now so every inspection is video monitored. I have to retint my front windows every year... My truck now is very not legal in MA. But it's so close to legal that most inspectors will let it be. It's a royal pain in the ***. I have a friend with a Ram 2500 lifted 6" on 37's. He has to put low pros on for his inspection in order to not exceed maximum height.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The evolution of my truck for funzies. March 2018-ish, started with 3" leveling kit and 285/75/16's. Fast forward to Nov 2019, full OME suspension, 255/85/16's, Hefty Fab front bumper. Move to 2020, Titan Swap, dual-swing rear bumper from @eolivas, a stupid amount of lights with RC Switch system, plasti-dipped everything in sight, Unistrut rails in the bed with brackets for HiLift & Axe/Shovel.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Looks good!

Makes me want some auxiliary lighting. . .damn it. Need to get back to fulltime work and soon

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Looks good!

Makes me want some auxiliary lighting. . .damn it. Need to get back to fulltime work and soon
I'd recommend definitely going with some sort of central switch relay system. Otherwise, it's a lot to route through the firewall...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'd recommend definitely going with some sort of central switch relay system. Otherwise, it's a lot to route through the firewall...

Yeah, my plan is only to put aux cubes in my roof rack. With switches in the overhead console. But time and $$$

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Installed the Jerry can toolbox. Looks like it will work well, however I still have to remove the thing from the mount on my bumper to use it which is a bummer.

Also tried a single-row light bar. The wind noise is still way too much. I will give it a few days, but I believe the light bar project will need to be abandoned. I know they aren't functional as driving lights, but as work lights it worked well.

I've ordered the Rago ditch light brackets... Finally pulled the trigger. Also ordered different 7" spots for the front - thought I would go with more of a "spot". The 7" lights I had didn't put out much light anyway, think I will relocate those to the tractor.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Installed 5125's last night... Minor upgrade.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts