Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is a Fronty forum but Titan's get buried too....

I love watching this guy snatch people out of near impossible situations. Its amazing what this guy can do with an old 6 banger XJ, some Yankum Ropes and some ingenuity.

This guy inspires my son in building the XJ we play with.

Moral of the story: Don't go camping in a trailer near a lake when the water is low.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Maybe I’m not seeing the right link/video but definitely didn’t see a Frontier.. that’s definitely a Titan..

Reactions: RickGnVa

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I’m not seeing the right link/video but definitely didn’t see a Frontier.. that’s definitely a Titan..

Good eye.... Yep, original post I saw where I first saw this said it was a Fronty, didn't notice the Titan until the 2nd time I watched it. Titles been amended....

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I’ll have to watch it later on the big screen, Matt does do some amazing maneuvers on there. Probably seen them all.. go to on YouTube when bored!

·
Super Moderator
10,503 Posts
Go ask that question on a Titan forum.

Clint

Reactions: MiniDuti

·
Registered
245 Posts
There is one of a frontier. His channel is really good. I also like, from what I've seen, is he doesn't belittle or degrade people for being stuck.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
This youtube channel is DOPE!!!!!!! I like the old dad in the group.... guys a legend

Reactions: Rowerwet

·
Premium Member
2020 Frontier King Cab SV 4x4
76 Posts
I find this channel very educational, as in “what not to do”. People seem to over estimate their abilities regularly and get stuck in the most obvious ways. I also appreciate his authentic no BS style.

That said, I cringe sometimes at some of his practices from a safety standpoint. I’m hoping I never have to see him or one of his crew hurt or killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Great truck
1,097 Posts
my wife loves that guy's show but I watch it and I see a lot of times where he specifically is making it take longer than it should and doing things in ways that are worse than it should be. and his jeep is aged but not old. he only has 155k on that jeep. my wife's 99 xj has 343k on it. she wants me to make her jeep like the one on his show and I keep telling her no because I am not swapping from leaf springs to long arms, to expensive for a daily driver to and from work

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
HE use to loop the end of the rope right over a hitch ball. Doesn't do this anymore. Must have received too much crap for that VERY unsafe practice.

·
Registered
641 Posts
HE use to loop the end of the rope right over a hitch ball. Doesn't do this anymore. Must have received too much crap for that VERY unsafe practice.
He still does it all the time. Although he normally uses the tri-ball hitch for any serious pulls.

From a strictly metallurgy aspect tow balls are perfectly fine to use as long as your tow ball is the correct size. No different than sizing a bow shackle. A common 3/4” tow ball shank has a rated shear force as high or higher than your normal bow shackle recovery points of similar size. That’s literally what they were designed for when you think about it...pulling an 8,000lb trailer (for example) and the trailer hitch getting slammed back and forth over and over and over and over again.

You start getting into trouble - and start seeing the occasional youtube videos - when some knucklehead trys to do a dynamic pull with a non kinetic line with some old POS bumper hitch or 5/8 rusty tow ball shank.

Not saying there aren’t better and more preferred options. Just pointing out that most tow ball recovery issues are a combination of; the wrong size or neglected equipment, the wrong pull rope, and the wrong pull technique, all being done because you have someone who doesn’t know what they are doing trying to use whatever they have at hand.

·
Premium Member
2020 Frontier King Cab SV 4x4
76 Posts
He still does it all the time. Although he normally uses the tri-ball hitch for any serious pulls.
That, and no dampers, people in the danger zone, working under poorly supported vehicles, etc.

I like the guy, but I worry someone’s going to get hurt eventually.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I've been called reckless a time or 2 before, and I would never pull off a ball. Better to just fish the loop through the pin. Might bend a pin and need cutting to free your strap (though it has yet to happen) then to risk it. Last thing I want are balls flying at my face.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I've been called reckless a time or 2 before, and I would never pull off a ball.. Last thing I want are balls flying at my face.
What a comedian..............Lol If you can break a tow ball off a receiver hitch your pulling out something way bigger than a pick-up truck.

·
Registered
641 Posts
What a comedian..............Lol If you can break a tow ball off a receiver hitch your pulling out something way bigger than a pick-up truck.
C’mon, no need to be rude. I think we can agree tow balls are probably not the best thing to regularly pull off for a variety of reasons, but, I do think a properly sized tow ball is much stronger than the reputation they have garnered, with regard to shear strength, for the reasons I previously cited.

Either way, just use common sense and it’s never a bad thing to be safer rather than riskier.

Reactions: drrobinson
1 - 20 of 21 Posts