Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. It is finally almost that time. I've finally narrowed my wheels down to two options, know what tires I want, but need that last push to decide on the lift.

I have of course read all the stickies and searched many combos of queries and it has led me here. I'm looking at cost/simplicity/longevity. I am doing this to get the truck how I want it and keep it 6-7 more years. I want this lift to last those 6-7 years.

I'm looking at PRG for almost everything. My confusion comes from needing new shocks as well. I am planning on going with the 5100/5125. My main last thing is this..

When lifting the rear I plan on going with blocks. Should I do the front with the shocks only or with a combo of spacers and the shocks? I am doing atleast 1.5"/2.5" but am looking also at 2"/3". The fact that putting the front at 2" puts the 5100s up high with a stiffer ride makes me question it all.

I do not off road at all. She's a street queen and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I'm open to suggestions or being pointed to a thread/post I missed in my search. I plan, thanks to the awesome write-ups on here, to do the work myself, so keep that in mind also.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Is the RMZ4 outfitted like the Pro-4X with bilstiens already? With no plan to off road, if you are happy with the stock ride I would not hesitate to do a simple Spacer lift in the front and AAL in the rear. In general terms, the only difference between the 5100's and the OEM bilstiens is the 5100's have adjustment built in.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. It is. Has 4600s on it stock. I've considered AALs. With what PRG has, cost wise it's about the same to do AAL or blocks. Just depends on how high I decide to go.

Are you saying then to only use spacers as the front lift and not use the 5100s to go higher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I just have a preference of AAL over blocks or extended shackles. YMMV on that,

I have a 2.5" front spacer lift on my Pro-4X and on the street it is fine 99.99% of the time. If I come off a driveway or over a speed bump too fast I get some coil bucket contact, but, for the $25 (used, EBay) I spent on the spacers, I'm ok with it. it's off road where it is not the greatest. If you were needing to replace the shocks due do age/wear/damage I would have no issue going to the 5100's, but if the current shocks function fine, once again, I would not hesitate to use a spacer instead and keep the money in my pocket.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
When you say 1.5"/2.5 do you mean front/rear. That would be too much lift for the rear. 1.5/0 would be pretty level for a stock truck.
If you go 1.5" spacer up front you will not get coil bucket contact. Only PRG makes those.
If I was you, I would get a 2" spacer. Add a small bump stop to the UCA and a 1" rear block and call it a day. ANything taller in front will give you ride issues.

Ebay stuff would be fine.
2" Front Leveling Lift Kit Arm Bump Stops Pro Fits 05 15 Nissan Frontier Blk | eBay
Fits 05 Nissan Frontier 1" Rear Lift Blocks Kit | eBay

UCA bump how-to
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/uca-bump-stop-31191/

Do you haul stuff with your truck. Another option, which is the way I went, is to get airbags for the rear. Variable lift, variable load handling capabilities. Pricier.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/firestone-airbags-install-22656/

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
If you are not going off road, what Shizzy recommended would be fine.
Just for your information,going up to 2" will not stiffen the ride.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mistyped. I meant 2" front/1" rear. I am considering 3" front 2" rear as well as PRG makes a kit for that, but that would be blocks for sure, not AAL. I don't really haul much except lumber or a load of trash or anything like that.

My main confusion is if i should only use the spacers for my lift, only use the shocks, or use both to achieve the front lift.

My shocks have some life left but they are on the downhill slide. I live in pothole central and figure I might as well replace them while I've got it all apart.

I need to lift not just level as I'm planning on putting 17x9 with 285/70 tires.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
My 2 cents:

Low cost: ebay front spacer (2"), rear block (1"). Less than $100 but will get CB contact

Best ride: Bilstein 5100s set to .5"-1" of lift with PRG 1.5" spacer, rear single AAL (1.5") with overloads removed. This will provide 2-2.5" of lift up front with no CB contact and a smoother ride all around with minimal payload loss. For your use it sounds like you don't use all the payload anyways. By removing the overloads and replacing with the single AAL the springs will be more compliant and ride much better. More expensive at about $350

Understand that both will also need alignment cams to get in spec.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
As much as everyone says you have NO CBC @ 2" spacer.... I have a set of 2" spacers in the garage I took off recently. For daily asphalt there USUALLY isn't CBC, but sometimes you'll find it. Mostly on speedbumps (everytime I was faster than 2mph) The Bil 5100 are extended travel compared to stock shocks. If you JUST set the springperch at 2" (4th notch) you'll have lift with stock-like ride and good travel. At 2" lift the UCA has about 1/2" downtravel before contact. IF it bothers you, SPC all the way. I rode with the stock UCA for a year. I traded up for off-road prowess. & MK84-ability...
Like Glamis said, 5100s & AAL will give better ride. Spacers & blocks will get you there for the least $$. BUT you will be running your rear shocks at their limit.

To fit the 33" tires you'll either need the 5100s (and possibly a spacer) and a 1-2" block in the rear Or you'll be doing some clearancing in the front.

I'd do the 5100 in the front, try it for a bit, then if CBC in annoying spring for the SPCs. 2" block in the rear is fine, be ready to get some rear shocks before long. The block will give less than 2" of actual lift. A 2" AAL will give you at/above 2"

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To fit the 33" tires you'll either need the 5100s (and possibly a spacer) and a 1-2" block in the rear Or you'll be doing some clearancing in the front.

I'd do the 5100 in the front, try it for a bit, then if CBC in annoying spring for the SPCs. 2" block in the rear is fine, be ready to get some rear shocks before long. The block will give less than 2" of actual lift. A 2" AAL will give you at/above 2"
I didn't realize that AAL would give me more of the 2" than a block. Well that is all great info and suggestions. But now it makes me wonder.

I want to level with the lift and get rid of the rake. For example, PRG has a 2"x2" AAL/spacer kit. That would keep the rake. Would using the 5100s with that kit allow me to go 2.5" up front? Or would that be too much for the stock UCAs? Better off to go with a 1.5" spacer? What makes me wonder about the spacers is saving the trouble of taking things apart down the road. However I see your point that if the spacer isn't needed, why do it.

There are just too many options out there.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I didn't realize that AAL would give me more of the 2" than a block. Well that is all great info and suggestions. But now it makes me wonder.

I want to level with the lift and get rid of the rake. For example, PRG has a 2"x2" AAL/spacer kit. That would keep the rake. Would using the 5100s with that kit allow me to go 2.5" up front? Or would that be too much for the stock UCAs? Better off to go with a 1.5" spacer? What makes me wonder about the spacers is saving the trouble of taking things apart down the road. However I see your point that if the spacer isn't needed, why do it.

There are just too many options out there.
There are alot of options.... The single leaf AAL will settle more, the multileaf not as much. You can also (should?) take out your overload leaf and that will drop you down (think its 1/2 " thick) and make it more compliant, at a loss of payload. The block will give you the same ride as you have now, a bit less than 2" but there is more axle wrap. AAL has less wrap.

One thing to note. You likely already have spring sag. Nomad, in his build thread, has spindle to wheelarch measurements. compare his stock measurements to your own. that will help you see how much sag you have now. If you keep your eyes open you can find used blocks & spacers for sale adn see how you like them. I have spacers available but still using my blocks for a while more. If your coils are sagged I'm not using my stocks either.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I've decided to do blocks in the rear. Not an easy decision, but one I'm sticking with.

I've also come to the realization that I need new shocks. So I have one final question.

Should I use the 5100s to lift the front and not use spacers? Or use spacers to lift the front? Or a combination of both? I have searched for others' opinions on that and came up with nothing.

I'm looking at doing a 1.5" block in rear.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Don't you need 5125's to get a lift w/o spacers up front?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't you need 5125's to get a lift w/o spacers up front?

The 5100s are the adjustable ones for the front. 5125s are rear and available at different heights but are not adjustable.

I'll be getting 5125s in the 2-3" height for the rear lift. I've read in many places that amount is best even with the 1.5" block.

The 5100s being adjustable is what makes me ask my question.

PS your post made me have to look it all up again to make sure I didn't get it wrong. Lord knows I could have. Lol.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Pretty happy with my 5100s at 1.5" + a PRG .5" spacer on top & the rear PRG 1.5" blocks. I went blocks due to running air bags as well. Be even happier when I pull the trigger on the SPC UCAs so my camber is /\ instead of \/.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty happy with my 5100s at 1.5" + a PRG .5" spacer on top & the rear PRG 1.5" blocks. I went blocks due to running air bags as well. Be even happier when I pull the trigger on the SPC UCAs so my camber is /\ instead of \/.
What made you choose a 1/2" spacer and the shocks? I've read that adjusting to 2" isn't always the best as it is a bit too far. Is that you reason?

On the other side, why use a spacer and the shock rather than just a spacer?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, The majority of info said 2" was a lil rough riding, so I went this route to keep it as supple as possible and still see 2" total lift. The reason I chose the 5100 was to get a better shock than the stockers. I have not replaced the rear shocks yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What made you choose a 1/2" spacer and the shocks? I've read that adjusting to 2" isn't always the best as it is a bit too far. Is that you reason?

On the other side, why use a spacer and the shock rather than just a spacer?

Right now, I'm running the 5100's up front, set at 2" and 5125's in the rear with a 1" block. I haven't experienced the "harsh" ride many have mentioned with the 5100's at 2". It's definitely a firmer ride, but it suits me fine.

Thinking about dropping the Bils up front to 1.5", then adding the 1.5" spacer. Nothing to do with ride quality, just want to get another inch out of it. Probably swap blocks in rear to 1.5".

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there less coil bucket contact with the smaller 1/2" spacer? What was your reasoning for that instead of just setting the 5100s to 2"?

Right now, I'm running the 5100's up front, set at 2" and 5125's in the rear with a 1" block. I haven't experienced the "harsh" ride many have mentioned with the 5100's at 2". It's definitely a firmer ride, but it suits me fine.

Thinking about dropping the Bils up front to 1.5", then adding the 1.5" spacer. Nothing to do with ride quality, just want to get another inch out of it. Probably swap blocks in rear to 1.5".
Same question for you essentially. Why go with no spacer?

That is my main decision to make at this point. I know I want 2" up front and 1.5" in rear. The rear will be blocks. Simple enough. But do I want that 2" up front to be all shock, all spacer with new shocks, or a combo of both?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts