Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have an experiment for us to try. For those of us that have the cold start valve clatter, I have discovered something interesting. If the truck is parked at say a 10 degree or even less incline (nose up), and it is started, the clatter, at least for me is very slight or mostly not at all. I would like for those who have this prob to give it a try (if where & how you park permits SAFELY) (should use the parking brake too!) & see what your results are. For some reason it works for me! :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey everyone, I have an experiment for us to try. For those of us that have the cold start valve clatter, I have discovered something interesting. If the truck is parked at say a 10 degree or even less incline (nose up), and it is started, the clatter, at least for me is very slight or mostly not at all. I would like for those who have this prob to give it a try (if where & how you park permits SAFELY) (should use the parking brake too!) & see what your results are. For some reason it works for me! :)
I had this problem and recently put royal purple 10w-30 and it has went away for now. Been about a month since the change.

·
Super Moderator
12,468 Posts
I had this problem and recently put royal purple 10w-30 and it has went away for now. Been about a month since the change.
How come you don't use the 5W-30 weight oil as recommended by Nissan?

Clint

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My driveway is shaper than a 10 degree angle and I have the cold valve clatter. Have had it for the past year and almost always park nose up.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
RED BRICK, i hate to say it but the valve noise (or at least some) is just part of the game with our engines. having said that i'm hearing some serious noises from my engine these past few cold mornings so i called the dealership, they are gonna look at it as soon as i can get it to them. i'm not sure what's going on but it doesn't sound good, sounds like piston slap or something like that... :damn: this cold weather

·
Registered
38 Posts
??? I park my truck in a carport (level) & I never get the cold knock when I start it. Temperatures around here have been around 15-20 degree highs. My truck has 30,000 miles on it & I've put Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic 5w30 in it since the first oil change.

·
Registered
290 Posts
d60tab , same here. My 05 SE has 28K on the odo, Mobil 1 since 3500 mile mark.
Have started it at Zero and below....no noticeable valve clatter, even the belt
tensioner has never squealed.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I park mine in a semi-heated garage (55 Deg. is the lowest it ever gets inside). Our garage floor has a fairly significant angle; the nose is lower than the rear. I get the startup rattle nearly all the time regardless of temperature.

Thinking of 2010 RED BRICK CREW's situation, I couln't help but notice something.

This weekend I parked outside at night on level ground for three nights in the icy bitter cold freezing rain of western North Carolina. Each morning my truck started great, with no rattle. Go figure. Today I parked it at work on a cold day (~40 Deg.), carefully finding a level place and again it started with no rattle.

Maybe my truck is playing tricks on me and my testing is short term, but I'm going to continue experimenting with this. Mechanically, I cannot think of anything regarding parking angle that could affect the startup rattle ......

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
10* is a pretty steep incline atleast around here it is...
How come you don't use the 5W-30 weight oil as recommended by Nissan?

Clint
some people just gotta be a rebel

·
Registered
175 Posts
Had piston slap and Nissan replaced the engine. The sound is unmistakeable, tick-tick-tick sound when starting and increasing with RPM's until warm then it 'kinda' goes away when warm. If in doubt, have it looked at. Mine started ticking after having the timing chain tensioners and chains replaced and just before the mileage warranty expired. gave me an 09 engine, they told me 'they fixed the tensioner problem.....' We shall see, so far so good but not holding my breath. Guess I could have bought a Prius or other Toyota.....what a mess......... Glad I bought what I bought (2007 Frontier Crew Cab)

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
After mine starts, I get what sounds like valvetrain clatter for five minutes, but the valvetrain clatter seems dependent on outside temperature (loudest when cold) and engine load (loudest when going up hills). Not sure what that's all about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.