Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil do y'all run in your Fronties? I have ~140k on my 04 N/A V6 4WD. I've had the truck for a year and have changed the oil twice already. I intended to change it before i left on a rotation to Europe but stuff got pretty hectic before I shipped out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I like a few different brands. But usually I like to use Mobil1 Full-Synthetic 5w-20. Really I think it's just worth it to use full synthetic, although it doesn't call for it in the manual. Just by nature of the product it will help the engine last longer.
On my truck I have used synthetic since I've owned it from 139,000 mi. Now I have around 205,000 mi and still don't have any engine issues (knock on wood)!

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
What oil do y'all run in your Fronties? I have ~140k on my 04 N/A V6 4WD. I've had the truck for a year and have changed the oil twice already. I intended to change it before i left on a rotation to Europe but stuff got pretty hectic before I shipped out.
I am using Castrol 5w-30 mineral oil. I am changing the oil every 6 months or 3000 miles whichever come first. I had some bad experience regarding oil in my high millage car. I just feel like I prefer keeping an eye on it more frequently than with synthetic oil change interval.

I domt want to start a big thread on what is better and so on but keep in mimd that all oil (synthetic and mineral) have to go through the same test to have the API logo on them. The logo will tell you the last successful test past. The test label goes from "AA" to "ZZ" then "aA" to "zz". Look at this image, last successful test was "SN". Oil is an industry that have been shape to sell like anything else but you still need a way to know if the oil is good or not.

Last thing, dont and buy the "best" test rating oil you can find. Cars and truck oil will have the first letter be a S. Synthetic oils will keep their property longer than mineral. The only thing you get with synthetic is more oil life not engine life.

That is my big 2 cent

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I bought mine at 175k I changed using full synthetic. It's due for another, sticking with that. I prefer the longer oil life because I'm lazy and hate changing oil lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am using Castrol 5w-30 mineral oil. I am changing the oil every 6 months or 3000 miles whichever come first. I had some bad experience regarding oil in my high millage car. I just feel like I prefer keeping an eye on it more frequently than with synthetic oil change interval.

I domt want to start a big thread on what is better and so on but keep in mimd that all oil (synthetic and mineral) have to go through the same test to have the API logo on them. The logo will tell you the last successful test past. The test label goes from "AA" to "ZZ" then "aA" to "zz". Look at this image, last successful test was "SN". Oil is an industry that have been shape to sell like anything else but you still need a way to know if the oil is good or not.

View attachment 317572

Last thing, dont and buy the "best" test rating oil you can find. Cars and truck oil will have the first letter be a S. Synthetic oils will keep their property longer than mineral. The only thing you get with synthetic is more oil life not engine life.

That is my big 2 cent
Yo, this guy is probably right. And it's definitely true that the oil formulas today are heaps ahead of the oil from 60+ years ago. So you totally could just be safe without using synthetic. I still use a lot of conventional mineral oil in some of my small motors and things like that for sure. And I don't lose sleep over it. I just use synthetic for the truck "in hopes" that it'll help the engine last longer. But your dude here has a point, it truthfully means the oil will last longer (not necessarily the engine). That's just my hope, haha.

Also, he made a good point of saying he does his oil change every 3000 miles. That's another great practice. For me, I do 5000 mile oil changes, and I do the oil filter every other time. So, you can say that this is a waste of my money, but hey, that's what I like to do, and it keeps me from worrying too much haha.

Some of the synthetic bottles say good for up to 7500 miles, 10,000 miles or 12,000 miles. To me, that's too far between oil changes. It's good to do the oil changes so you are servicing your truck more often, and checking other things as well. Again, this is just my thoughts and beliefs, but I hope it helps someone all the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been using the Walmart brand full synthetic 10w 30 since I got my 2000 KC 4 banger in 2017. Seems like a decent quality oil for the price. For the filter I use either a wix or purolator.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yo, this guy is probably right. And it's definitely true that the oil formulas today are heaps ahead of the oil from 60+ years ago. So you totally could just be safe without using synthetic. I still use a lot of conventional mineral oil in some of my small motors and things like that for sure. And I don't lose sleep over it. I just use synthetic for the truck "in hopes" that it'll help the engine last longer. But your dude here has a point, it truthfully means the oil will last longer (not necessarily the engine). That's just my hope, haha.

Also, he made a good point of saying he does his oil change every 3000 miles. That's another great practice. For me, I do 5000 mile oil changes, and I do the oil filter every other time. So, you can say that this is a waste of my money, but hey, that's what I like to do, and it keeps me from worrying too much haha.

Some of the synthetic bottles say good for up to 7500 miles, 10,000 miles or 12,000 miles. To me, that's too far between oil changes. It's good to do the oil changes so you are servicing your truck more often, and checking other things as well. Again, this is just my thoughts and beliefs, but I hope it helps someone all the same.

I do my filter every time I change the oil, so every 3000miles.

About oil change interval, keep in mind that when the truck was build, the oil change interval was every 3000miles or so. Stretching it to 12000miles is a risk I am not willing to make. The interval was not set only because of the oil but also because of oil contamination. To me, stick to the book in regards to oils (engine/transmission/differencials/transfer case). The guys that built your truck know more about it than a guy on a forum.

Like I said, I had bad experiences with "stretching" oil change. It was on a chevy cavalier. I have not blew the engine but the thing ran on 25% of oil left for good know how long. Afther 3000miles, normally, about 75 to 85% of the oil was there but afther 6000miles, 25% left and was VERY dark. I should have check the oil level but I have not. I do now... Oil consumption got back to as normal as it can be with 3000miles intervals.

You do you, to me it is cheap insurance to get under there and do it 3 to 4 times a year

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you really want to know how far of a stretch you should go for oil changes, send your oil out for analysis and the oil lab can tell you how much more life your oil had left at say 3000 miles of runtime. We all live in different parts of the world with different climates and geography. What works best for one person isn't the best for the next.

At this point, if you're still in Europe, you're best off having a buddy or sibling that knows cars drain all your fluids and leave it on jack stands, unless you're having someone regularly starting it and taking it for short drives while you're gone.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you really want to know how far of a stretch you should go for oil changes, send your oil out for analysis and the oil lab can tell you how much more life your oil had left at say 3000 miles of runtime. We all live in different parts of the world with different climates and geography. What works best for one person isn't the best for the next.
I think you got a point about that. I wont do it personally as I enjoy going under there from time to time but that is tge only way to know.

At this point, if you're still in Europe, you're best off having a buddy or sibling that knows cars drain all your fluids and leave it on jack stands, unless you're having someone regularly starting it and taking it for short drives while you're gone.
Also dont let your truck on jack stand without any oil. Even janky oil will do better than nothing

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Synthetic oils will keep their property longer than mineral. The only thing you get with synthetic is more oil life not engine life.

That is my big 2 cent
Pretty sure this has been proven incorrect. Synthetic is better at resisting viscosity and thermal breakdown. Which means gums and other residues will not be deposited on bearing surfaces and other tight-clearance machined parts. Which will result in less overall wear, making the engine last longer. And also resist extreme pressures on bearing surfaces, keeping the bearing shell and the crank, connecting rod or cam from colliding at high RPMs and bearing side forces. All supercar manufacturers recommend synthetic, as does the Corvette since 1996. I'm pretty sure it's not because they're cheap on how often to change the oil. My Grand Prix STE 4cam spins to 7400RPM and I don't trust it w/ anything but Mobil 1. 178k miles and still running strong.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Pretty sure this has been proven incorrect. Synthetic is better at resisting viscosity and thermal breakdown. Which means gums and other residues will not be deposited on bearing surfaces and other tight-clearance machined parts. Which will result in less overall wear, making the engine last longer. And also resist extreme pressures on bearing surfaces, keeping the bearing shell and the crank, connecting rod or cam from colliding at high RPMs and bearing side forces. All supercar manufacturers recommend synthetic, as does the Corvette since 1996. I'm pretty sure it's not because they're cheap on how often to change the oil. My Grand Prix STE 4cam spins to 7400RPM and I don't trust it w/ anything but Mobil 1. 178k miles and still running strong.
Like I said, I dont want to debate. I think that you are right about high performance applications. Do you know that F1 car wont start if they are not up to temp? Just to let you know that, everything got a place and an application. I dont believe I need synthetic oil. I think I could run it, but I dont need it.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I've been using Walmart's SuperTech Full-synthetic 5W30 in all of my vehicles for the past decade. For $17 per 5-quart jug, the price is hard to beat! If you question how good it is, I can show you a copy of the Blackstone Lab analysis from my 2008 Pathfinder; the sample had 12,000 miles on it and the vehicle had over 200,000 miles on it at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been using Walmart's SuperTech Full-synthetic 5W30 in all of my vehicles for the past decade. For $17 per 5-quart jug, the price is hard to beat! If you question how good it is, I can show you a copy of the Blackstone Lab analysis from my 2008 Pathfinder; the sample had 12,000 miles on it and the vehicle had over 200,000 miles on it at the time.
It's great that you've done this oil test. I am happy to see such positive results on the Walmart brand. Understandably, they must have to pass all the same tests, but there's always that bit of uncertainty when trusting a Walmart or Amazon brand or something like that.
I am glad you shared your results too, because I use the Wal-Mart synthetic on my family cars. And knowing it's working as advertised is really cool!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
It's good oil. Both Citgo and Warren Distribution supply the oil for the SuperTech brand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts