Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
0w-30 will NOT work fine. Good grief... We continue to see these posts. WHY are all these people intent on using oil that is not what the factory recommends???

Use what the people who designed the engine specified. Period. One viscosity does not cost any more or less than another. If you think you will save 1/10 of a mpg, you won't and you are putting your engine at risk for nothing. Zilch.
Why do you think 0w30 won't work ? The 0 just means it has a lower colder flow rate... it's still a 30 grade oil like a 5w30... just likely has more synthetic (PAO) base stock. A 10w30 will work too... it just has a higher cold flow rate but still a 30 grade oil... so it depends on the temps it will be used in... although, it seems that most 5w30 oils have been formulated a bit better than their 10w30 counter parts since 5w30 is more widely recommended... a lot, if not most, of the conventional 5w30s are now considered semi synthetic ... Spend some time on BITOG...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Engines requiring 0w20 oil are having issues with the rings going bad, especially in cold climates. Wife had a crv that called for 0w20. I used 5w20 for the life of the car, without any problems. Dealer recommendations are usually wrong on tire pressure as well.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Engines requiring 0w20 oil are having issues with the rings going bad, especially in cold climates. Wife had a crv that called for 0w20. I used 5w20 for the life of the car, without any problems. Dealer recommendations are usually wrong on tire pressure as well.
Where are you pulling these statements from? Hear say? Also how many miles was the life of the car? Manufacturers post the recommended tire pressure mot the dealer.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think these guys dont understand the reason for the 5-30 recommendation, its not anything to do with engineering issues with the motor it's strictly to fall in line with fuel conservation commitment by the corp.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Why do you think 0w30 won't work ? The 0 just means it has a lower colder flow rate... it's still a 30 grade oil like a 5w30... just likely has more synthetic (PAO) base stock.
You have that backwards.
5w-30 oil is made from sae 5 weight oil, with polymer thickeners that flow like sae 30 weight at operating temp. As those polymers break down, (the thickeners break down), and the oil gets thinner.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think these guys dont understand the reason for the 5-30 recommendation, its not anything to do with engineering issues with the motor it's strictly to fall in line with fuel conservation commitment by the corp.
Fuel economy is driving the need for thinner oil, but thinner oil leaks out of your bearings literally like water. An engine calling for 0w-xx needs an oil pump that can keep up with the higher leakage rate and still maintain enough pressure for complete system lubrication.
You really need to follow manufacturers oil requirements. You can go thicker as the engine wears, but never go thinner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have that backwards.
5w-30 oil is made from sae 5 weight oil, with polymer thickeners that flow like sae 30 weight at operating temp. As those polymers break down, (the thickeners break down), and the oil gets thinner.
No, those same VIIs are in the 0w30 to keep it at the proper viscosity also... The VIIs may sheer down depending on the engine and length of service... but, again, a 0w30 oil will be more than adequate for the recommended OCI of this engine... They are very good, stout oils with more synthetic base stock that may actually have less VIIs than their 5w30 oils due to that fact. The formula will vary among manufacturers but all of them are good oils in the 0w30 grade... as they are in the 0w20... Check out BITOG for all of the oil info you could possibly hope for...

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
Is there no conflicting information at BITOG? IFF there is, then one must choose the camp they sleep in.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Update: Called talked to the Service Mgr @ The Stealership. Advised that they put in 0-20 synthetic instead of 5-30 synthetic. He had me come in right away and have it drained/filled and oil filter replaced. He said the tech must have gotten confused with the specs on the new titans. I looked up a pdf for the 2020 titan and sure enough it recommends 0-20.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I still cannot fathom why anyone is so insistent on using a different oil than is specified by Nissan.

It's not like you are going to get any better gas mileage with a thinner oil.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I still cannot fathom why anyone is so insistent on using a different oil than is specified by Nissan.

It's not like you are going to get any better gas mileage with a thinner oil.
Exactly. Just put in the fluids the vehicle calls for. The manufacturer gives the specs for a reason. Why over think it?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts