Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best viscosity for the Frontier? 0w-30 or 5w-30 Mobil one full synthetic. 16' Pro4X. V6.5 automatic.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Don't use 0w oil in your truck. It doesn't matter what brand. 0w oil does not provide sufficient protection unless the car is made for it.
New cars that use thin 0w oil have enhanced capacity oil pumps to keep enough oil in critical spots where it needs to be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for your reply. So is 5w-30 sufficient for my truck. Mobil 1 full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
Owner's manual recommends 5W-30.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've been running Castrol, Valvoline or Mobil1 full synth 5w30 for the last 42k miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks everyone for your replies. I know this sounds weird but it seems my 09 Frontier SE same engine, trans (4.0L auto) and tire size got better mileage than this truck I currently own. This one is a Pro4X. Maybe it just me. Have a good day everyone.👍.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nissan will let it be known if newer oils are safe for their older engines.
It's surprising they haven't said, considering the huge advancements in oil quality in just the last 20 years.
My guess with these Frontier engines is that sufficient pressure cannot be maintained with oil thinner than 5w-30.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ok thanks everyone for your replies. I know this sounds weird but it seems my 09 Frontier SE same engine, trans (4.0L auto) and tire size got better mileage than this truck I currently own. This one is a Pro4X. Maybe it just me. Have a good day everyone.👍.
yes, same engine and transmission, but different gearing in the differential.

·
Registered
287 Posts
2019 Pro-4x and the "stealership" just did an oil change. Looked at the paperwork and it says they used 0-20 Synthetic. I'm pissed now...

·
Registered
126 Posts
2019 Pro-4x and the "stealership" just did an oil change. Looked at the paperwork and it says they used 0-20 Synthetic. I'm pissed now...
It seems a vast majority of dealerships have been doing this. Either they don't know the specs on the vehicles they work on, or they don't care and it's cheaper for them because some people here have observed the shops have the 55 gallon drums of 0w-20, but 5 gallons of 5w-30.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep... I've read a lot where the dealerships have done that. The slightly used 2018 I recently bought had a window sticker indicating 0w20 was used also... I went to the service department and inquired... he looked it up and said that 5w30 was used and the wrong oil type info was put on the window sticker. I'm a bit over 3,000 miles with it and all is well. The oil doesn't seem to be to thin when looking at it on the dip stick so maybe it was a mix up on the sticker. However, it being the cooler time of year it is around here and with 0w20 supposedly being some excellent oil, I wasn't going to worry to much anyway. I wonder how a 0w20 would hold up in these engines? I haven't searched to see if I could find a oil analysis of anyone that has used the 0w20 but it would be interesting to know.
To the OP, 0w30 synthetic will work fine and may have more pao/group 4 content than a 5w30 synthetic... and would be a better choice if it was way down cold temps compared to the 5w30... you should have no issues using it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There’s been a lot of “wrong sticker” reports on here too lol

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yep... I've read a lot where the dealerships have done that. The slightly used 2018 I recently bought had a window sticker indicating 0w20 was used also... I went to the service department and inquired... he looked it up and said that 5w30 was used and the wrong oil type info was put on the window sticker. I'm a bit over 3,000 miles with it and all is well. The oil doesn't seem to be to thin when looking at it on the dip stick so maybe it was a mix up on the sticker. However, it being the cooler time of year it is around here and with 0w20 supposedly being some excellent oil, I wasn't going to worry to much anyway. I wonder how a 0w20 would hold up in these engines? I haven't searched to see if I could find a oil analysis of anyone that has used the 0w20 but it would be interesting to know.
To the OP, 0w30 synthetic will work fine and may have more pao/group 4 content than a 5w30 synthetic... and would be a better choice if it was way down cold temps compared to the 5w30... you should have no issues using it.
0w-30 will NOT work fine. Good grief... We continue to see these posts. WHY are all these people intent on using oil that is not what the factory recommends???

Use what the people who designed the engine specified. Period. One viscosity does not cost any more or less than another. If you think you will save 1/10 of a mpg, you won't and you are putting your engine at risk for nothing. Zilch.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Take it back. Have them dump it and put it the Nissan recommended 5w30. If they refuse, report them to NissanUSA. Then go on Yelp and tear them a new a$$hole.
Don't lose that paperwork. That paperwork is now your warranty. Take copies, take a pic and send it to your own email.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Alot of worry worts on here,that dealers supplier most likely gave them the 0-20 because he ran out of 5-30 that week.And they dont worry about it because they all know it really makes no difference, as long as it''s SN rated on the bottle cap and somewhere between 0 and 50 weight,it'll work just fine.And the only way to know what really is in your motor is if you put it in there yourself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As I’ve said on another post, fluids and fluid changes seem to be a lot of bro science. Do what makes you feel confident.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts