Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a few things regarding oil with auto transmissions but what viscosity, conventional or synthetic, etc of oil do you suggest for a Frontier with a manual transmission with 14,000 miles on the vehicle. Unsure what oil has gone into it before picked up the truck around 10k miles. Thanks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
From the owner's manual 4.5 Quart of "If Genuine NISSAN Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) HQ Multi is not available, API GL-4, Viscosity SAE 75W-85 may be used as a temporary replacement. However, use Genuine NISSAN Manual Transmission (MTF) HQ Multi as soon as it is available...

Personally I'd select Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic Lubricant and replace it before 40K miles..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fault for not being clearer just had meant engine oil the title was a little misleading now that i re-read. Transmission note being 6 speed was just for identification.

Had heard 5w-30 conventional until around 15-20k and then should switch to a full synthetic. Just know sometimes different motors do better with conventional over synth wondering if nissan's 4.0's were the same.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Switch to synthetic any time you want IF you want... Nissan actually recommends synthetic in the 4.0 engine...

I use Mobil 1... Clik the Amazon linky...

"Engine oil with API Certification Mark 4, Viscosity SAE 5W-30 NISSAN recommends the use of Genuine NISSAN Ester Oil, available at a NISSAN dealer"

·
Super Moderator
10,441 Posts
I’ve read that some use 0-30 Mobil 1 which is even better at startup.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
10,441 Posts
From the owner's manual 4.5 Quart of "If Genuine NISSAN Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) HQ Multi is not available, API GL-4, Viscosity SAE 75W-85 may be used as a temporary replacement. However, use Genuine NISSAN Manual Transmission (MTF) HQ Multi as soon as it is available...

Personally I'd select Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic Lubricant and replace it before 40K miles..
Even my dealer tried to give me the wrong oil for my manual transmission, only use what the manual states and don’t start going heavier or you’ll have more issues than you want. Trans service gets very expensive.

Clint

·
Registered
544 Posts
I’ve read that some use 0-30 Mobil 1 which is even better at startup.
As a 30 plus year Ship/Tug Engineer I just can't bring myself to use an 0 weight oil in anything, it just goes against my grain... :serious:

·
Super Moderator
10,441 Posts
As a 30 plus year Ship/Tug Engineer I just can't bring myself to use an 0 weight oil in anything, it just goes against my grain... :serious:
Chrysler specs it to be used in my SRT Challenger 392 0w-40

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
I've been using Walmart's SuperTech full-synthetic 5W30 in all my vehicles (Nissans and one Toyota) for over a decade. Currently, it's priced at $17.50 for a 5-quart jug. I sent a 7500 mile oil sample from my 2006 Pathfinder to Blackstone Labs when it got to 150,000 miles on the vehicle (I purchased it will 84,000 miles and always used the SuperTech full-synthetic) and they recommended increasing my oil change interval to 9500 miles. Only thing they found was that the silicone level was a bit high, which they said could be from dirt or a recent repair; I found that the rubber intake coupler had splits in it and was leaking, which would explain the dirt. I can't justify spending another $10 a jug for a name brand synthetic!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,441 Posts
Some name brand company private labeled if for Walmart, maybe it’s Mobil1. Think blackstone labs could tell if it’s the same as Mobil1?

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
I heard it used to be made by Royal Shell, the makers of Rotella. Recently, someone told me it's being made by someone else, maybe Citgo? I wouldn't be surprised because I know Walmart often changes suppliers for its own brand names (SuperTech, Great Value, to name a couple). That said, most of the oils on the shelf share the same base oil and most of the additive packages come from one or two companies. All I know is the SuperTech is certified by the American Petroleum Institute and passes GM's Dexos qualifications and that's okay by me!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Some name brand company private labeled if for Walmart, maybe it’s Mobil1. Think blackstone labs could tell if it’s the same as Mobil1?

Clint
Lowest bidder, most likely. I know the SuperTech synthetic gear oil lacked the friction modifier found in Mobil 1 GL-5

·
Registered
209 Posts
I changed mine at 900 miles. Just to get what ever maybe in the motor from assembly. Went with Mobile l but Iam going back to Valvoline SynPower. Haven’t had any oil related issues with it ever. Mobile l is really good to start off. But heard it falls off severely at around 4000 miles. This is the first new truck that lam going to do the 5000 interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,441 Posts
I changed mine at 900 miles. Just to get what ever maybe in the motor from assembly. Went with Mobile l but Iam going back to Valvoline SynPower. Haven’t had any oil related issues with it ever. Mobile l is really good to start off. But heard it falls off severely at around 4000 miles. This is the first new truck that lam going to do the 5000 interval.

You heard that but have you seen it printed anywhere that you find reliable?
I’m on my fifth Frontier and all on conventional oil plus a 4.0 Pathfinder and all has been perfect, synthetic can’t hurt but all of this is great marketing to make you feel you need it.

Clint

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well yes great market wars between companies. But it was in a independent test from a company in Texas. Basically get an oil with the sn seal and biggest thing to change on factory interval and all should be good. Not a fan of the 10 000 extended stuff

·
Registered
845 Posts
I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 Synthetic with a Nissan OEM filter. In my 6spd manual transmission I use Redline MT-85, it works very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts