Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2005 Nissan frontier crew cab, V6 4.0 liter, 4X4, manual transmission, 55000 miles. I am now looking to replace my 3rd Oil Pressure switch/sensor part #25070-CD00A.

I have an after market warranty so the dealer replaced the first bad switch/sense in November of 2012, then my oil pressure readings were all over the board in the spring of 2015 I had it replaced again in June of 2015.

Just had my truck in for another oil change and the service technician at the dealership who originally replaced my first sensor/switch said it was leaking again. Interestingly enough I have had no symptoms with erratic oil pressure readings prior to the oil change appointment.

The morning after the oil change appointment, oil pressure readings are all over the board and there was a very small drip of oil under my truck.

So trying to get some opinions on this... is part #25070-CD00A prone to failure? 3 of them in the same truck? Or are the technicians doing something on oil changes that pressurize the system? causing a failure in the switch?

anyone else experience this at all?

thanks

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
ive done four of them so far lol. they are a pain but its a live gauge and i love it.

i used to make fun of Brennan for removing his but it seems i am eating my words haha.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's good to know I am not alone :), I like having the live gauge as well.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
Well it's good to know I am not alone :), I like having the live gauge as well.

i will say that mine has kept failing because of water crossings.
i think the end of the wires are exposed and killing the sensor.

when i first bought the truck it was blown, and 3 times since have all been water.
i should just fix it, buuuuuuut im lazy.

something to consider if it worked before you took it in and after you got it back it was broken

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Nobody in the aftermarket makes an equivalent part?

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
Nobody in the aftermarket makes an equivalent part?
yea you can run your own and never put back the factory gauge. but then its just a dead gauge unless you want to remove it.
i would rather it just work than have to install an aftermarket gauge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting that water crossing was mentioned. With the heavy liquid salt they apply here on the roads I have been power washing the underbelly of the truck more. Wondering if that contributed to it failing again. Either way maybe trying an aftermarket part next time is the way to go. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Replaced 3 times?!? Wow. I just replaced mine today. Oil pressure gauge pegged on high @ 144k miles. Autozone = $76 with a $15 off coupon. Hope it's lasts. Sounds like I'll probably end up doing this again at some point. Small price to pay to have a real gauge I guess.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just had to replace one in a Chevy 4.8l PU...Owner was having what he thought was engine Sludge problems and poured a can of Sea Foam in the crankcase, brought it in for a change 200 miles later and when I revved the engine on pre-work inspect it was pouring oil out...

Seafoam belongs in intake systems and gas tanks IMHO.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
yea you can run your own and never put back the factory gauge. but then its just a dead gauge unless you want to remove it.
i would rather it just work than have to install an aftermarket gauge.
What's special about the OEM oil pressure sender?

Generic aftermarket oil pressure senders cost around 15 bucks - and they don't have a reputation for being failure-prone.

What would prevent you from installing a generic sender, and splicing it into the original sender's wiring, so that the factory gauge could still be used?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'd think that the sender and gauge have to be calibrated to each other.

If water and/or salt spray is the problem, what about spray on bed liner, Plasti Dip,
or FlexSealing the sender to seal it?

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Seen a lot of posts on the Pathfinder site I moderate from R51 owners that went with aftermarket sending units and either they didn't work out of the box or they worked, but not for very long. There are a lot of poor quality and counterfeit OEM parts for sale on the web, these days. If you go aftermarket, I would purchase from a reputable parts source and get a reputable brand. Be especially careful when buying parts on Ebay; some of the counterfeit parts can be very convincing knock-offs of OEM parts.

·
Super Moderator
19,660 Posts
I've had mine replaced once since owning my truck. It was not leaking but the pressure gauge was erratic. It was replaced under warranty but I wound up having to buy a new instrument cluster which wasn't covered under warranty. I did not know that these senders were prone to multiple failures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts