Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have the dreaded "pegged high oil pressure reading" on my oil pressure gauge. I know I need to replace the sending unit. Does anyone know the correct part #. I see two different items listed. One is called a switch and costs about $15. The other is called a sensor and costs about $60. I ASSUME it is the one refered to as a sensor. Can anyone help me out. I called the Nissan dealership and they weren't much help. My truck is an 05 Nismo. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
no problem best of luck to ya. i had to replace mine on my z. the pressure switch is the fake pressure sender that the 06 and up frontiers have that doesn't give a real reading. just a dummy sender that puts the gauge at the normal spot if it sees pressure. your lucky and have an actual sender that reads actual pressures.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I replaced mine earlier this month. 2005 NISMO KC 2WD. My local stealership wanted 90 bucks, but they price matched Courtesy.

no problem best of luck to ya. i had to replace mine on my z. the pressure switch is the fake pressure sender that the 06 and up frontiers have that doesn't give a real reading. just a dummy sender that puts the gauge at the normal spot if it sees pressure. your lucky and have an actual sender that reads actual pressures.
I keep reading this mis-information on this forum. It is not true. I replaced mine and the needle drops at idle and raises when I get on it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I read the same thing on thenewx.org today regarding the switch vs. sender. That really pisses me off about the dummy gauge. Why not really screw me and just have a dummy light Nissan?- dont try to fake me out.

Dribak, I dont think this is un-true. My gauge has never moved in the 4 months I've owned my truck.

Question: Anyone tried to convert the switch read-out to the sensor type, or is the gauge computer controlled? Anyone know the resistance range of the sensor, and is it a 5V or 12V circuit?- When it gets warmer I'll try simulating it on my truck's puter to see if a sensor would read ok.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
I keep reading this mis-information on this forum. It is not true. I replaced mine and the needle drops at idle and raises when I get on it.
it worked in 05. then they switched to a dummy sender in 06 due to massive amounts of service calls...."the gauge was low!!!!"

so of course it worked for you...since you have an ...wait for it....2005!!!!!! model.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I read the same thing on thenewx.org today regarding the switch vs. sender. That really pisses me off about the dummy gauge. Why not really screw me and just have a dummy light Nissan?- dont try to fake me out.

Dribak, I dont think this is un-true. My gauge has never moved in the 4 months I've owned my truck.

Question: Anyone tried to convert the switch read-out to the sensor type, or is the gauge computer controlled? Anyone know the resistance range of the sensor, and is it a 5V or 12V circuit?- When it gets warmer I'll try simulating it on my truck's puter to see if a sensor would read ok.
Every find out about changing to the sensor type? I'd sure like to do that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Every find out about changing to the sensor type? I'd sure like to do that.
I've found that the old type is a 3 wire- ground, vcc (typ +5 volts), and signal. The new switch type just grounds when active (1 wire)... this is all according to the service manuals. Havent had time to look on my truck.

I really do want an oil pressrue readout, so I'll still work on this when I have time. Right now I have to find out if the gauge control 'black box' for my type still has the pin-ins for the 3 wire sensor and if it'd work w/ a variable signal--- for the later version, Nissan could simply have a resistor in line and be sending 2.5 volts when the oil pressure switch is closed (for middle reading 'ok').

Otherwise, options are to drive the gauge independently (requires me to design a circuit) or add a separate, real oil pressure gauge--- could be easier, but is less clean and more expensive.

I'll update when I get around to more.

·
Registered
177 Posts
OK, after searching this evening, I found this:

Oil Pressure Sensor on 09 Frontier CC - Nissan Forums: Nissan Forum

Seems like someone has been thinking along the same lines. After learning this, I'm tempted to go through the expense of adding a 2nd sendor&gauge and relocating it and the oil pressure switch (keep for engine safety), even though I still havent started tracing wires on my truck and under the dash. Really, I'm not sure of the point anymore.

Even if I could make it work, the main advantage I see is that even if I can get the stock gauge to be real, I need to compare to an actual gauge to determine what spot means what pressure. So- I think for the future I'll be looking to do a guage pod on the pillar and just add a numeric oil pressure gauge (though I'm still pissed that a real, non-numeric stock gauge would serve greater 'comparison' value over time than what I have now).

I guess I feel a little better knowing ford screwed mustang owners w/ the same problem... and they are installing dual sender w/ 2nd gauge setups.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I replaced mine earlier this month. 2005 NISMO KC 2WD. My local stealership wanted 90 bucks, but they price matched Courtesy.

Just to clarify. Changing the Sender Unit didn't fix the low oil pressure reading? Does the sender fix the low oil pressure mechanically or is it just fixing information to the oil pressure gauge. I am assuming that getting a low oil pressure reading then is normal as long as it climbs up when stepping on the gas.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have an 05'. My guage has been reading all the way pegged high for a long time. Does this mean that my pressure is acutally high or does it mean that my guage is broken?

According to the responses on here, my 05' has a really guage?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Congradulations on using the Search function. You would not believe the number of people are are unable to do that for whatever reason.

As you have probably read in this thread, the 05 has a real gauge while the 06 and newer models have a dummy gauge.

The general concensus is that if you have an 05 and your oil pressure is pegged at all times, your sender (the $60ish item) is probably broken. If you have been driving like this for a while and the sender isn't the issue, then you have fried your motor and need to look into a swap.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i searched oil pressure gage and this was like 15-20 down the list.....
anyway.. I have the same issue as nismo drummer, '05 with a gage that was fine last night, but started it this morning and its pegged up high. thought it may be a loose ground. It was almost record setting cold last night (for Atlanta), and hit 17 degrees. any possible correlation?. I doubt it....:comphead: maybe once i warm up the wiring all will be good....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Congradulations on using the Search function. You would not believe the number of people are are unable to do that for whatever reason.

As you have probably read in this thread, the 05 has a real gauge while the 06 and newer models have a dummy gauge.

The general concensus is that if you have an 05 and your oil pressure is pegged at all times, your sender (the $60ish item) is probably broken. If you have been driving like this for a while and the sender isn't the issue, then you have fried your motor and need to look into a swap.
How do you tell if your motor is fried?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It warmed up to 34 today, gage is still maxed. Oh well, time for a new one. The link in the begining of this thread is not good anymore. Any recomendations what or were to get one?

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Does anyone know what the thread size on the stock dummy OP switch is? I assume it's the same as the functional 05-06 sender is.

If you got the gauge pillar from Brutal it shouldn't be too hard to get a T-fitting and a couple adapters and run the dual gauges. One will be real and the other to keep the stock piece of crap working.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i dont beleive it is fake, maby just less accurate, the pressure switch might have certain presets, low or now pressure dectected, normal pressure detected, and high pressure detected, and will have a corresponding needle position indication, saying maby the needle will only read in 3 exact positions. Aircraft have very similar systems and they break all the time, they have pressure switches which gives a warning light indication when system pressure has dropped below or above normal operating pressure. and pressure transmitters which give almost exact PSI readings to a gauge. i think what nissan did is connected a Pressure switch to gauge reading.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts