Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Frontier with KA24DE, has anyone ever installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? I don't have one in the dash and would like to install one, maybe an Autometer. If you have installed one where did you install the sending unit on the block?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
from what i understand, your guy's 2.4's have a difficult to reach oil filter. maybe it would be easier to run an oil filter relocation kit and add a T fitting to the line for the pressure gauge. that way you have easy access to the filter, and you get your gauge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I thought about doing that too and I probably will. So there isn't anywhere on the KA24DE to tap off for a sending unit??

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i'm not saying there isn't a place on the block to tap, its just that a T fitting would be easier.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
some people simply put a t fitting in the block where the stock oil pressure sender is located, that way you can plug in a guage sender, and the ECM sender. keeps the ECM happy. problem is the block is metric and most autometer stuff is standard. I've also heard eventually the copper t fittings fail from the block vibration....but I dunno about that one.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I put one in mine back in 2002. Used the Lotek gauge pillar pod (sold through AC) to put an Autometer Ultralite gauge in. Used a T-block and union to connect the sender and the factory idiot light sender to the same fitting on the oil filter mount.

Look in my website below. Go to Mods, then Gauges for pictures.

·
Registered
443 Posts
fyi... the ecm doesnt care about oil pressure. On my maxima i dont use an oem oil pressure switch. I just used the autometer sender with an adapter. The frontier shouldn't be any different.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
what do you mean it doesn't care about oil pressure? the oil lamp light comes on specifically when the oil pressure is low.

·
Registered
443 Posts
yeah thats it. its not like the ecu cut the engine out when your oil pressure is low.

·
Registered
194 Posts
it has been a while since i have messed with a hardbody but i had a ka24e which i believe is pretty much the same motor just different heads. installed a t fitting at the pressure sensor with a union, drilled a hole through the fire wall and ran my tubing as needed. had no problems at all.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
yeah thats it. its not like the ecu cut the engine out when your oil pressure is low.
aah, i understand what you mean now.

·
Registered
443 Posts
ehhh ive heard bad things when using a nylon line from the oil pressure port into the cabin. Spend the extra bucks and get an electronic gauge with its own sender.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
ehhh ive heard bad things when using a nylon line from the oil pressure port into the cabin. Spend the extra bucks and get an electronic gauge with its own sender.
its tricky to get the crush lock to seat correctly without pinching off or cutting into the nylon line. rule of thumb is finger tight, then a quarter turn. i had a mechanical oil pressure gauge and it failed a few days later, so i got pissed and ripped it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts