Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to start a quick topic on this. I looked under my truck today when I was changing the oil- lo and behold, I'm leaking oil. Based on the amount I drained, I was probably 1-1.5 quarts low when I changed the oil. :(

Anyway, the oil pan is leaking. Looks like I hit something last time I was 4-wheeling. It looks about the size of- if you took a rock-hard tennis ball and pushed it 1/3 the way into the oil pan, on the drivers side corner of the oil pan.

Anyway, it's slowly dripping oil out of the seal in the oil pan. I'm thinking I need to replace the oil pan and the oil pan seal- if they will sell me one by itself. He said the oil pan is $113, and that sounds pretty reasonable I guess. I would be doing it myself- messy, but not too difficult.

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Check online and with our supporting vendor Fontana Nissan. It may be cheaper then the dealer.

Ohh, This has yet to be confirmed or not but I think the 350z pan is the same and they have some aftermarket larger ones. Only issue is they are aluminum and will not take a hit like a steel one.

One last word too, do you have a skid there? May be worth the investment even if it is just the OEM nissan Nismo one. I have added it to mine as a just in case. I don't offroad or anything like that but there is so much crap on the roads here in florida, I don't want a tire thread or animal carcas or etc.... taking out my oil pan while driving across the state.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it looks like it's leaking from the seal / gasket, so I'm wondering if there is a gasket for the oil pan. I've looked on Fontina's website and others and can't seem to find it.

My dad thinks we can pull the pan, hammer the dent out, paint it, and seal it back up with a new gasket. We did find a couple of the screws near the impact a little loose, and tightening them appears to have slowed the leak quite a bit.

Skid plates are definately an option- wonder how much the Nismo oil pan skid plate is.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you do discover a small hole don't hesitate to weld it or have it done, you may save some coin.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I think the skid is only like 17-20 bucks.

It may be worth trying to fix your old pan but the time and effort required may not be worth the time to just order a new one. Plus, you could always keep the old one as a spare just in case you smash the new one.

I think the gasket is just RTV so there shouldn't be any problem with that. Just make sure you use enough and not over due it since the "over flow" may make its way into your oil filter and clog it or into an oil passage and block it.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
If you do the work yourself, find the proper bolt torque specs. Oil pan bolts are lightly torqued as things go. I'd get you the details, but I can't find them right now. :-(

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I just wanted to start a quick topic on this. I looked under my truck today when I was changing the oil- lo and behold, I'm leaking oil. Based on the amount I drained, I was probably 1-1.5 quarts low when I changed the oil. :(

Anyway, the oil pan is leaking. Looks like I hit something last time I was 4-wheeling. It looks about the size of- if you took a rock-hard tennis ball and pushed it 1/3 the way into the oil pan, on the drivers side corner of the oil pan.

Anyway, it's slowly dripping oil out of the seal in the oil pan. I'm thinking I need to replace the oil pan and the oil pan seal- if they will sell me one by itself. He said the oil pan is $113, and that sounds pretty reasonable I guess. I would be doing it myself- messy, but not too difficult.

Am I missing anything?
nope not missing anything

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
... the proper TQ spec is 80 in-lbf and to use RTV as a gasket ...
Thank you for finding it and djkest note that dubie's find is in IN/LB, not FT/LB. Just want to be sure that anyone trying this takes heed. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts