Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 supercharger Nissan frontier with 209,000 miles that is leaking oil and creating smoke when running. The oil leakage is just in front of the front axle. Any possible diagnosis? Thank you

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Smoke from where? Out the pipe, or from under the hood?
Engine oil or power steering fluid?
Can you get a few more details?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
OK. It's almost certainly leaking directly onto the exhaust manifold.
Start it, open the hood, let it get hot and smokey, and follow the trail of oil back to the source.
If you're not comfortable doing that, any garage could trace it down for a reasonable fee.
Don't delay, it sounds like it's leaking a considerable amount of oil. Be sure your oil is within a quart of being full. At least be sure there is oil on the dipstick, when the engine is NOT running.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Rocker cover leak
Most likely, but burning AND dripping on the ground indicates a massive leak.
Power steering leak spraying on the exhaust is also high on the list, notwithstanding what the OP stated.
Actually the list ends there, There really is no other source that would cause smoke under the hood.
Oil fill cap in place and tight? Disptick fully in place? Pinhole in tranny cooler line?

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,949 Posts
Blast the engine clean at the car wash then do a thorough search for the fresh oil leaking out. Place some cardboard under the engine to try and pinpoint the source.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's probably your Valve Cover Gaskets. They get old and hard as a rock. I changed mine back in April. Truck only has 120k on it but the gaskets had become like hard plastic that you can snap when bent in half. On the passenger side tho, What may work for a little while is tightening up the Phillips Screws on the Valve Cover. You'll be surprised at how loose they are. You have the SC so i think you can get to the driver side with ease and tighten and/or replace pretty easily.

And Leaking When Its Running Would Make Sense. Since The Only Time You Have Oil Moving To The Top Of The Engine Is When The Engine Is Running. So That Would Explain Your Valve Cover Gaskets Needing To Be Replaced.

Anyways, I made a thread when i changed them. Here it is:

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
My money would be on the valve cover gaskets. Cam seals can leak and the oil can run back, but it would have to be a really bad leak for it to do that. The other common leaks would be under the exhaust...front or rear crank seal and oil pan lips seals, so it's likely not one of those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts