Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I use Bosch or oem Nissan only. I don't really have a reason other than I trust both and I always have one or the other available to me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I just wanted to let everyone know I switched from WIX XP to royal purple filters and the difference is night and day for about the same price. I was getting the dreaded rattle at cold start no matter what oil I used with the XP filters. The RP filter is still quiet after 1K on it. Might just be a better drain back valve. Who knows, but I'm a new RP fan. Lol. You can find them at a reasonable price online.

·
Registered
224 Posts
A few relatives and I have several vehicles between us that, conveniently, use the same oil filter. I bought a brick of forty Honda 15400-PLM-A01 filters for $150 shipped. Arguably decent filters for $3.75 each. No rattling issues at cold start-up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 2000 Desert Runner KC that I recently gave to my son. I bought the truck new and put 122k miles on it. I used Mobile One oil filters, and changed both the oil and filter religiously every 5000k miles. At approximately 100k miles I had a mechanic friend replace the valve cover gaskets, water pump and timing belt. The mechanic told me the inside of the valve covers and engine were `clean enough to eat off of". So I'm a fan of Mobile One filters, I have used them on my all of my vehicles for many years.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thats pretty much from the regular 5K oil changes, and not so much anything to do with filtering in my experience. Today's engines run so clean,other than some carbon particles(which are to small to be filtered) and dissolved chemicals theres not much solid matter being filtered.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah the top end draining is causing more wear than dirt. Drainback is bad.
Do Frontiers have 2 different filters listed. The Xterras changed from 2009 to 2010, smaller filter length wise in the 2010. Always used the 2009 filter as size matters. Ridiculous these trucks use such a tiny filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As I have stated, I decided to use WIX XP on all our vehicles and be done with it. I'm all for new and better, as long as it IS better. I have a hard time believing that the best filter media is still made from ground up trees.

Fortunately, neither of us need to put a lot of miles on to get where we are going, so I change the oil and filter at 3 months, with a XP and Castrol synthetic blend.

This thread of course got me curious AGAIN and I decided to do some more digging about micron rating, relief pressure and such, as well as the requirements for the engine in the same regard.

So far I have not found much of anything. The regular black Wix has a higher bypass pressure than the XP and provides a micron rate which the XP does not show. All of this is of course useless without knowing the engine requirements.

I believe I'm probably over thinking the whole thing and am just giving myself one more thing to keep me awake at night and waste more time on, so I'm probably just going to put the whole thing to rest and continue on my way.
You’re changing your oil every 3 months? Curious why. I only change mine every 5 to 7k or yearly, whichever comes first. I’m low mileage though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
You’re changing your oil every 3 months? Curious why. I only change mine every 5 to 7k or yearly, whichever comes first. I’m low mileage though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My preference mostly. 90% of my driving is under 10mi each way, and I may be "wasting" money, but I like it clean. Better out than in I always say...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts