Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Oil filter Removal

8K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  YEGFrontier 
#1 ·
Did a oil and filter change yesterday, and boy did I have time getting my oil filter out. I have a 07 Frontier and after opening the cover I had a real problem gettting my arm in there to twist off the filter, my arm and hand is cut to shreads:eek:ops1:, so how do you get the filter out? I did try the oil filter wernch. Any other ideas?
signed....cut and shreaded

#2 ·
I do it sometimes by actually reaching around and over the whole shield on the passenger side. It seems easier to get to and less painful :) to me that way.

#3 · (Edited)
Reactions: Pleeeebz
#4 ·
i always use filter plyers, if its a pain in the :censor: to remove try to grab it as close to the base side as possible filters are usually the strongest there and wont crunch as easily

#5 ·
I used an oil filter cup wrench on a socket wrench. That worked fairly well, with little skin shredding. Go to your local pep-boys or auto zone and look for a black cup near the oil filters. They have them in all sizes, they are inexpensive and will save your skin literally.

#6 ·
+1 to what Wamba said. Use the cup. Also, take a file and smooth those sharp edges on that hole in the skid pan. I did this and it makes life a lot easier. I have the removal of the filter down to a science. Stuff a lot of old rags on top of the pan to catch oil, use a cup type wrench on the filter, remove it, oil the rubber seal on the new filter, hand install and tighten and then a 1/4 turn or so with the wrench. Reinstall the small metal door with the two bolts. Add new oil (5-3/8 quarts).

#7 ·
I dont know about all this advice with tools....but just turn your wheels to the right all the way before you start. Then just sitting down next to the front passenger side tire reach over with your arm and unscrew, I dont even open that little panel anymore. Im about 5'6 and if my stubby arms can reach im sure anyones can.

#10 ·
I dont know about all this advice with tools....but just turn your wheels to the right all the way before you start. Then just sitting down next to the front passenger side tire reach over with your arm and unscrew,
this is how i do it, i dont have a sway bar so my arm fits in there pretty good now

#9 ·
I remove the plate in the skid plate sheet metal (laugh) for the oil to drain out. Then I pack a couple of paper towels directly under the filter under the "fancy" little oil diverter thingy. I have 4 types of oil filter wrenches.... #1 is the standard metal band type that I have in a few sizes. #2 is about the same, but a rubber strap, #3 is the thin sheet metal stamped ones that work every once in a while, and #4 is has three friction arms that get tighter as you torque it more. # 4 is what I usually use on the Frontier. I hold the filter wrench part through the hole, and the ratchet from the passengers side of the skid plate. The first oil change after buying it new, none of those 4 worked and I was bloody. I ended up resorting to driving a screwdriver through it and that almost tore the filter in two. I think they put it on with epoxy and an impact gun.

#12 ·
Did a oil and filter change yesterday, and boy did I have time getting my oil filter out. I have a 07 Frontier and after opening the cover I had a real problem gettting my arm in there to twist off the filter, my arm and hand is cut to shreads:eek:ops1:, so how do you get the filter out? I did try the oil filter wernch. Any other ideas?
signed....cut and shreaded
I have metal oil filter wrenches but they are hard to slip on , what I use is a 12" piece of motorcycle tie down , I wrap it around the filter then put a piece of square steel ( 1/2x1 about 6" long) .
What I do is loop the tie strap so when I rotate the metal it cam locks against the oil filter , than use a cresant wrench to turn the 1/2x1 so that it tightens the band and with a tight grip the tighter it gets is ALSO the direction the oil filter turns thus removing it , this works great and works every single time !
They also sell a flexible nylon 2" belt oil filter wrench with a square metal arm attached to it at auto parts stores .
I never had to poke a hole that's so far down the list of options because what if that does not work or you cut yourself and the truck cat be driven than what !!

#13 ·
A buddy called me in a panic. He could not get his oil filter to budge so he ran a large screwdriver through it. The entire outside of the filter twisted off the plate that screws to the engine block. I drove the 50 miles to his house and looked at his impossible situation. Hummmm??? He has a good selection of tools so I was able to fit a needle nose pliers into the holes of the stuck plate. I used the large screwdriver through the jaws of the pliers and broke the plate loose. This story might help somebody. At least don't crank the filter down so tight! That thick gasket seals with only a bit of turn after it touches.

Tt

#15 · (Edited)
Currently going through this problem now. First time doing this, hope I get it. I'm going to try the wheels to the right and reach your arm in there method, but damn is this baby on tight.

Update edit: Turning the wheels to the right gave me the needed space to get that puppy out. Job finished. Thank you for this thread, I'll never have this issue again

#17 ·
I just use the K&N filters with the 1" nut welded to the end. Makes removing them really simple. On the wife's rogue, I use a set of oil filter pliers. They are basically a set of channel locks with an offset handle and teeth on the jaws to grip the filter.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.