Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some for the 1st gens. Any one looked in to it for the 2nd gen? I know I have dented a couple oil filters in the past and would hate to brake one.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'm investigating this right now, found a nice Hayden kit that I may end up ordering. Right now reading about the effects of flow and pressure drop with a remote adapter and 5 or 6 feet of hoses installed, which equals 10 - 12 feet of hose plus the equivalence of right-angles and flow direction changes inside the adapters. All these factors matter.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is something I have never considering doing until now but since you are already relocating couldn't you just adapt to use a larger standard oil filter of some sort to make up for some of the pressure drop from the additional line/fittings? Our oil filters are smaller than most lawnmowers so I imagine this mod can easily be done with zero flow change - it may even improve with a larger filter.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The adapter I'm eyeballing holds two PH8a filters so the filters will be much higher potential flow rate. The lines and fittings are my concern.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The adapter I'm eyeballing holds two PH8a filters so the filters will be much higher potential flow rate. The lines and fittings are my concern.
After seeing that I would not be worried one bit about flow as long as you are not adding 10+ foot of tubing. Avoid 90 degree fittings for added peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Avoiding 90's is not always possible, but the secret here is the radius of the bend. Never use tight 90s or billet machined pieces that are basically just cross-axis drilled lumps of aluminium, the pressure drop on those is horrendous. Gentle sweeping curves are the rule of the day. I used to engineer piping and electrical controller circuits for Ingersoll Rand pumps division.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is of interest to me. I am an Amsoil Dealer and was looking for a setup for my Frontier with the Amsoil Bypass system. Any pics or ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had a remote filter on my Hardbody truck, mostly because the filter was in such a horrible-to-change place and because it was such a tiny filter.
Mine looked more like this Amz Link and used a standard bigger filter, no matter what vehicle. PH8A if Fram ( I used better filters than fram).
The instructions said to glue (glue provided) the hoses into the engine block, but I did not want such a permanent install. Eventually the non-glued hose loosened enough to leak, so had to be tightened after 60,000 miles or so. No big deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts