Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.. I have about 1400 miles on my 2010 LE CC and I'm getting ready to dump the factory fill and replace with Pennzoil Platinum 100% synthetic.. I stopped at a dealership and stocked up on a few filters and crush washers as well.. I was quite surprised at how tiny the oil filters are, and just wanted to double check -- the filters the dealer gave me were 15208-9E000 -- these are the correct ones, right? I know the factory filter thats on there now is a 15208-31U0D, but from what I can gather, that number is only used for the factory installed part and not the replacement part.

Second -- I've read that the factory tightens the hell out of the filter and the 1st change may be a little challenging.. I was going to use a universal cam-like filter with 3 claws from Sears, but then discovered its too large for these tiny filters.. They suggested I stop at Pep Boys, and I picked up a CTA 2506 Spider-Type Oil Filter Wrench that does fit the 15208-9E000. Anyone think I'll have any problems getting the filter off with this wrench? Ive included a link as well as a picture. Pep Boys doesnt have a link, but the same wrench is here: CTA 2506 Spider-Type Oil Filter Wrench at OutdoorPros.com

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
the placement of the filter is in the front thru a rather small access hole ,i really dont think you will get anything other than a good pair of filter pliers in there,maybe your hand if its small,have you looked yet ,the plug is 13 /14 mm pretty sure its 13.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Just an FYI, there is a nice oil change DIY that covers most of your questions.

Do yourself a favor and take off the skid plate so you can see how it is all arranged so that if you choose to use the access panel next time, you know what is behind the skid.

Also, going thru the passenger fender well has been reported to help but I have yet to try it since I just remove the skid everytime. It only take 1hr from start to finish including clean-up.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Oil Filter wasnt that bad, in other words they didnt tighten the crap out of it, mines a Nismo so the front skid makes it snug to get in there, I go in from the passenger side and get it off by hand. If it is too tight you can get a channel lock in there to break it loose. My drain plug is 14mm. The access hole in the skid is a PITA and sharp too

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
(The access hole in the skid is a PITA and sharp too)
yes it is!!!!!!
If you insist on using the access panel, do yourself a favor and line the inside of it with the door ding stuff used on door jambs. This way you don't cut the living crap out of your arms/hands.

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you insist on using the access panel, do yourself a favor and line the inside of it with the door ding stuff used on door jambs. This way you don't cut the living crap out of your arms/hands.
That access hole is good for 1 thing and 1 thing only, letting the oil out!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Looks like you been pettin' a wildcat, eh?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just changed the oil for the first time on my 2010 PRO-4X. It was a major PITA. Like everyone says, the access hole is a joke as well as a Tetanus health hazard. The factory torqued the filter so tight, it was impossible to take off even through the passenger side .. ended up crushing the filter. Even the 'ol screwdriver through the filter trick didn't work. Gave up and took the skid plate off, but the lower valance trim was in the way and had to cut parts of it to clear the bull guard. After all that, I was able to lower the skid plate and remove the mangled filter. The next oil change will be much easier (I hope).

·
Registered
704 Posts
it got me good!and your last post sounds about right,thats why i now use the long filter pliers.never tried to take off the skid plate,might have a look next time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright.. Changed the oil today.. At almost 1600 miles, the factory fill was surprisingly very dark, and loaded with teenie tiny metal chips.. The filter was on pretty tight, but the wrench I mentioned in my 1st post earlier worked great to loosen it up and take it off.. Yes, the access hole was very sharp -- I went in from the passenger side fender.. Actually did a combination of one hand up in the access hole and the other through the fender.

In the end, all was well.. Threw a new 15208-9E000 filter in there, replaced the crush washer, and fed my 4.0 5 3/8 qts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.. And by the way -- that filter wrench works great in the confines of the Frontier's engine compartment -- make sure if anyone picks one up that you remove the red rubber covers before trying to remove the filter.

Rick

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is the right filter and the plug takes a 14mm socket. I find it easier to drop the entire skid plate rather than go through the access hole. I also use the Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic. Good Luck

·
Registered
318 Posts
I do mine through the access through the fender well. Works O.K. Removing the skid plate is a P.I.T.A. because you have to take the screws out of the lower valance also (at least on the LE) and (from personal experience) do not drop a screw when putting it back together or you will be taking it off again to get the screw that's wedged in between the cross member! The one thing that irks me to no end is the little drain slide is to short! The oil goes onto the cross member, then leaks all over the place! One way of alleviating the problem, is to put some tin foil around the cross member so it will make it out the access hole and into the oil bucket. Still a major pain in the [email protected]#!

The oil I use is Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec and the filter is an OEM or Bosch filter. Just my personal preference.

FYI: If doing the OEM filter, Try CourtesyParts.com for the best prices. Thats who I use for the OEM oil filters and crush washers.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
These are way easy to change oil on. Remove one bolt from inspection plate and loosen other, pivot out of the way. Look through hole and reach around passenger side of skid to remove filter - I used a 'cup style wrench' that attaches to 3/8 drive ratchet, it just fits around notches on end of filter - loosen just a little and allow oil to drain down the chute slowly - remove filter, reach around skid and install new filter - i put hand in inspection hole only to wipe oil off chute before finishing - one of the first oil changes in my life where I have not spilled any oil at all. The Nissan filter that was original was made in China - no thanks - I used a Wix filter and Mobil 1 since I will usually go 5000 miles between changes, or twice a year, before and after winter. Removing the skid seems crazy to me, that is allot of work and time for no reason.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree with 09eq on how to change the oil. I use a cottage cheese container and place it under the chute to catch the oil out of the filter.
Oil and filter change take me about 20 min. I use a Bosch filter 3323 and Mobil 1 oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts