Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does the 2005+ frontier have an oil filter adapter/cooler that fits in between the filter and the engine block? Has anyone had any problems with them in the past?

My shop says that my truck is leaking oil from there and that it is a volitile situation because it is a high-pressure part and could really blow off if there were a major problem.

I haven't ever really looked, so any direction/advise is appreciated.

Oh, any chance of the 5/60,000 covering it?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Shop said it was most likely due to faulty oil filter installation/mis-threading, etc....careless work.
I will be hitting the faulty shop tomorrow to see what they say.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
if you have a leak at the filter that means either the filter isnt tight enough, they forget to check the sealing plate on the block and there is an old gasket stuck to it or someone stripped/crossed the threads so the filter is sitting sideways or not getting tight enough to form a seal. there is no reason you should develop a leak there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The oil filter on the 2nd gens is mounted to an remote filter type set-up. It's not really a cooler. I would think it would be covered by 5/60,000 warranty unless they consider a hose leaking normal wear and tear. If it is just one of the hoses, you can change it yourself pretty easily. If you take the lower skid plate off, it's right there.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Nissan calls it a Cooler, P/N 21305. The good news is that the parts diagram also shows a P/N 21305D, a Stud-Oil Cooler which looks like a replacement for the component that *may* have the buggered up threads. I agree with Mylt1 tho, that the leak should be easy to trace or "fix" and I doubt anything on your truck is seriously messed up.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
The oil filter on the 2nd gens is mounted to an remote filter type set-up. It's not really a cooler. I would think it would be covered by 5/60,000 warranty unless they consider a hose leaking normal wear and tear. If it is just one of the hoses, you can change it yourself pretty easily. If you take the lower skid plate off, it's right there.
It actually is a cooler. Basically it consists of a collar around the oil lines (or stud to the filter) that circulates coolant (antifreeze) on its way to the radiator.... so while its not completely seperate cooler, or nor is it a air-oil cooler, it is a oil-coolant cooler.
\
if its just misthreaded I think you can replace the stud, and as posted above, its actually not all that expensive of a part if it needs to get replaced...for once.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i don't know how the 2nd gen oil filters are setup, but if its the threads that secure the fliter, it could be as easy as swapping out a threaded sleeve that secures the filter to the pan. heres a couple crappy pics of what i'm referring to.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Have you also considered the pan spacer for the Z or the pan with wings for the Z? these should both give you more capacity.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you have any problems installing this? Did you take photos?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I assume it was on the drivers side just under the PS cooler or was it in front of the trans cooler on the passenger?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm dredging this one up from the past just to provide some insight. I had this same leak on my 2005. I pulled the front skid plate and cleaned everything up really good. I then started the engine and sure enough, a little drip formed from behind the oil cooler adapter and ran down the underside of it.

The local dealership charged me ~$11 for the o-ring that goes between it and the block. I pulled the cooler off, replaced the o-ring and buttoned it all back up. Problem solved.

The most frustrating part was simply draining/replacing the fluids. It was an easy and inexpensive fix for this problem.

On edit: The O-ring part number was 21304-17F20.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts